Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt normal lifeJune 28th, 2012 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 28 (IANS) Heavy rains lashed the city Thursday disrupting rail and road traffic and causing inconvenience to commuters, officials said. According to the weather office, more rain is in store for the next 24 hours till Friday morning.
According to weather officials, Colaba (south Mumbai) recorded 21 mm rain, while Santacruz (north Mumbai) recorded rainfall of 75 mm till 9 a.m. Thursday.
Rail and road traffic was hit as trains were running late by 15-30 minutes. Most arterial roads of the city were flooded with water, making it equally difficult for vehicles and pedestrians to commute.
Making a late entry against the predicted date of June 10, rainfall in the city Thursday left many areas of northwest Mumbai like Khar, Jogeshwari, Bandra, Goregaon, and Malad waterlogged.
The weather department has issued a warning for heavy rainfall in the next 24 hours in the city as well as the coastal region of Mumbai and Konkan.
The city’s maximum temperature was 30 degrees Celsius, while the minimum temperature recorded was 27 degrees Celsius.
Mumbai has been facing a severe water crisis after the monsoon skipped its regular date of June 10 this year.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) had warned that the city with a population of nearly 18 million will face severe water shortages for the rest of the year if monsoon fails.
Continuous rain has left several low-lying areas in south Mumbai waterlogged and traffic snarls on the two main Express highways Thursday. Low-lying areas like Hindmata, Parel and Dadar are partially submerged in water.
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Mumbai areas waterlogged after third day of heavy rains - Jun 11, 2011
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 28, 2011
- Rains bring cheers and woes to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, surrounding areas - Jul 04, 2012
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Heavy rainfall lashes parts of Mumbai - Jul 03, 2010
- Cloudy morning, another rainy day expected - Aug 26, 2010
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- More rains likely in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, cause traffic snarls - Sep 15, 2011
- It rains chaos on Delhi roads (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2010
- Delhi lashed by heavy rains; road, rail traffic hit - Sep 12, 2010
- Rains lash Delhi, traffic snarls follow (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: arterial roads, bandra, coastal region, continuous rain, goregaon, heavy rains, khar, malad, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, parel, road traffic, santacruz, south mumbai, traffic snarls, water crisis, water shortages, waterlogged, weather department, weather office