Heavy rains in Delhi, more showers forecastAugust 1st, 2010 - 12:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) Delhi saw heavy rains for the second consecutive day Sunday and the weatherman said the cloudy and wet spell would continue for the next couple of days.
“We expect 90 percent of rainfall today (Sunday). The skies will remain cloudy with few spells of rain or thundershowers. One or two spells may be heavy,” an official of the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
According to the met department, the city recorded 62.7 mm of rain till 8.30 a.m Sunday.
The minimum temperature was 24 degrees Celsius Sunday, three notches below average for this time of the season. The maximum temperature will hover around 29 degrees Celsius, the official said.
Sunday being a holiday, traffic jams like the ones seen Saturday didn’t take place as there were fewer vehicles on the road in the morning.
After Saturday’s showers, the control room of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi received 94 complaints of water-logging, 20 complaints of trees falling and five complaints of parts of buildings collapsing, an official said.
Saturday was the wettest day of the season for the national capital that recorded 62.5 mm rainfall. The city has received a total 306 mm of rain this monsoon.
The continuous rainfall disrupted normal life for commuters Saturday with flooding in low-lying areas causing traffic snarls in many areas.
- Incessant rains in Delhi, more likely Monday (Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, rains expected - Aug 15, 2010
- Another rainy day in Delhi - Aug 20, 2010
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi, more expected (Second Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Heavy rains in Delhi, more showers likely (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Pleasant Thursday in Delhi, rains expected (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Rain leads to chaos on Delhi roads (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Cloudy day, rains expected late in night (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- It rains chaos on Delhi roads (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2010
- Thundershowers cool Delhi, more expected (Lead) - Sep 05, 2011
- Cloudy day, heavy rains likely - Aug 22, 2010
- Sunny day in Delhi, no more rains (Lead) - Sep 25, 2010
- Another rainy day in Delhi, more showers likely - Sep 06, 2010
- Rains at last in Delhi, more expected Saturday (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: commuters, couple of days, heavy rains, holiday traffic, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, monsoon, municipal corporation of delhi, New Delhi, rainfall, spells, three notches, thundershowers, time of the season, traffic jams, traffic snarls, water logging, weatherman