Heavy rains in Arunachal cause floods in two Assam districtsSeptember 14th, 2012 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Sep 14 (IANS) Lakhs of people have been affected in two Upper Assam districts bordering Arunachal Pradesh - Dhemaji and Lakhimpur - after flash floods hit the area Thursday due to incessant rainfall in Arunachal, an official said Friday.
Dhemaji Deputy Commissioner M.S. Manibandhan said several rain-fed rivers, including Chamaong, Gainadi, Ziadhol, Kumotia and Lali had overflowed in the past 24 hours submerging over 90 villages in the district.
The neighbouring Lakhimpur district has also suffered due to the flash floods caused by overflowing of rivers like Ranganadi, Rangajan, Dihing, Kakpoi and Tingra. All the rivers are flowing over the danger-mark due to incessant rainfall in Arunachal Pradesh.
Sources in the Lakhimpur district administration further said that Jiadhol and Kumotia rivers have also inundated vast tracts of human habitation.
The sources, however, said that relief materials have been provided to all the flood- affected villages in both the districts.
Several areas of Arunachal Pradesh also remained cut off from the other parts of the country as the floods in Dhemaji washed away a 30-metre-long portion of National Highway No.52 at Bhebeli in the district Thursday night.
Surface communication to the East, West and Upper Siang districts, Upper Subansiri, Lohit district, Anjaw, Dibang Valley and Lower Dibang Valley districts of Arunachal Pradesh have been hit hard as NH-52 is the lifeline for these people besides residents of central Assam.
Vehicles bound particularly for the Siang region of Arunachal Pradesh have stopped plying after the portion of NH-52 was washed away.
The residents of the two Assam districts have alleged that the flash floods are the fallout of the government’s failure to repair the embankments - most of which were breached by flash floods in June this year.
- Seven Assam districts affected by floods, two killed - Sep 21, 2012
- 10 killed, thousands displaced in northeast floods - Sep 12, 2010
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- Floods affect over 30,000 in Assam - Jun 12, 2012
- Sixteen dead, 50,000 displaced as rains lash northeast (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2010
- Thousands displaced in Assam flash floods - Aug 15, 2011
- Flood alert in Assam, 75,000 displaced - Jul 19, 2011
- Northeast floods render 75,000 homeless, relief stepped up (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- BJP slams construction of big dams in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,