Heavy rains disrupt life in MumbaiJuly 14th, 2009 - 11:46 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 14 (IANS) For the third time in ten days, heavy rains Tuesday disrupted normal life in the country’s commercial capital.
Waterlogging was reported from many low-lying areas of the city like Dadar, Khar, Santacruz, Goregaon, Malad, Kandivli, Andheri, Jogeshwari (western suburbs), Byculla, Mazagaon, Sion, Wadala, Vikhroli and Ghatkopar (all eastern suburbs).
According to the Weather Bureau, the city recorded 98 mm rainfall till this morning while the suburbs notched 125 mm.
Disruptions were reported in road, rail and air traffic movement since the morning. While traffic jams hit office-goers on the two highways serving the city and on other important roads, trains on the Western Railway, Central Railway and Harbour Line were running 15-25 minutes behind schedule.
A spokesperson for Mumbai Airport said that all incoming flights were delayed by 15-20 minutes on account of poor visibility (about 800 metres) and due to gusty winds over the city.
As a precautionary measure, several schools in the city and suburbs declared a holiday. Children were informed by phone not to attend school in view of the heavy rains and the forecast for a downpour during the day.
The Weather Bureau has forecast heavy to very heavy rains accompanied by strong gusty winds in the city over the next two days.
Earlier, heavy rains had disrupted life in the city July 4 and 8, causing great hardship to office-goers, working women and students.
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, surrounding areas - Jul 04, 2012
- Rains bring cheers and woes to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Heavy rains continue in Maharashtra - Sep 04, 2012
- Local trains hit as rains lash Mumbai - Aug 29, 2011
- Heavy rains batter Mumbai, millions hit (Lead) - Jul 14, 2009
- Mumbai areas waterlogged after third day of heavy rains - Jun 11, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Heavy rains hit Mumbai, parts of city flooded - Jul 04, 2009
- Heavy rains disrupt normal life in Mumbai, Thane - Jul 08, 2009
- Heavy rains disrupt life in Mumbai, millions hit (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2009
- Heavy rains slow down life in Mumbai - Jul 13, 2011
- Downpour continues in Mumbai, traffic hit again - Jul 15, 2009
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: central railway, downpour, eastern suburbs, gusty winds, heavy rains, holiday children, incoming flights, khar, malad, mumbai airport, poor visibility, precautionary measure, traffic jams, traffic movement, two highways, waterlogging, weather bureau, western railway, western suburbs, working women