Heavy rains continue in MaharashtraSeptember 4th, 2012 - 12:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 4 (IANS) Torrential rain continued to lash Mumbai and the rest of Maharashtra for the second day Tuesday, disrupting road and rail traffic.
Mumbai’s lifeline, the suburban trains, were hit badly due to waterlogging on railway tracks in several parts of the city, an official said.
While the Harbour Line and Central Railway suburban trains were running late by 20-30 minutes, an average 15 minute delay was reported on Western Railway.
Following a signal failure near Kalyan in Thane district, train services were affected between Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus and Kasara (Thane) and Karjat (Raigad) on the Central Railway.
Several low-lying areas in the city and suburbs were either waterlogged or flooded, delaying vehicular movement and creating massive traffic snarls on national highways and other major roads during the morning peak hours.
Waterlogging was reported from parts of Dahisar, Kandivli, Malad, Andheri, Santacruz, Bhandup, Sion, Byculla while some areas in Dadar, Worli, Goregaon and Kurla experienced flooding.
The weather department has forecast “heavy to very heavy rains” over the coastal districts of Mumbai, Thane, Raigad and Ratnagiri and heavy rains in northern Maharashtra, Marathwada and other parts during the next two days.
Elsewhere in the state, most districts of the coastal Konkan, eastern districts of Vidarbha, northern parts of the state, Marathwada and western Maharashtra continued to receive good rains, bringing cheer to the water-starved farming community.
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Local trains hit as rains lash Mumbai - Aug 29, 2011
- Rains bring cheers and woes to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, surrounding areas - Jul 04, 2012
- One killed, 20 injured in Thane train collision (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- One killed in Maharashtra train accident, probe ordered - Jul 20, 2012
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- Rains wreak havoc in Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Monsoon set to hit Maharashtra in next two days - Jun 07, 2011
- Rains disrupt Maharashtra-Gujarat train services - Aug 01, 2011
- 10 injured as Vidarbha Express rams into derailed local train - Jul 20, 2012
- Heavy rains disrupt life, rail links in coastal Maharashtra - Jul 24, 2010
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Heavy rains slow down life in Mumbai - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: coastal districts, farming community, goregaon, heavy rains, kasara, marathwada, massive traffic, minute delay, morning peak, national highways, raigad, rail traffic, signal failure, suburban trains, traffic snarls, train services, waterlogged, weather department, western maharashtra, western railway