Heavy rains claim 20 lives in Uttar PradeshOctober 7th, 2009 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 7 (IANS) At least 20 people have been killed in rain-related incidents in Uttar Pradesh, officials said Wednesday.
Heavy showers lashed parts of the state Tuesday. Most of the casualties were due to wall and roof collapses, officials added.
The casualties were reported from Sitapur, Lakhimpur, Unnao, Hardoi, Moradabad, Banda and Fatehpur districts.
The maximum number of deaths were reported from Sitapur, about 80 km from here, where six people died.
“Most of the casualties in Sitapur took place at Sherapur and Jadaunpur villages,” M.R. Verma, sub-divisional magistrate, told IANS over telephone from Sitapur.
“Relief work is being carried out in the district in full swing. Financial compensation will soon be provided to the families of the deceased,” he added.
In Lakhimpur district, about 135 km from here, five people were killed following heavy rain in Aggarkhurd, Magalganj and Khagua villages.
“If rain continues for some more time, a flood-like situation would emerge in the district and relief work would then become quite challenging for us,” Sameer Verma, district magistrate, told IANS from Lakhimpur.
The state meteorological department has forecast widespread rainfall in parts of Uttar Pradesh during the next 24 hours.
“The rainfall is due to upper air cyclonic circulation in lower levels over Madhya Pradesh and adjoining western Uttar Pradesh. Normally, such a weather system does not come to the state during this time but this year is an exception,” state meteorological director J.P. Gupta said.
According to the meteorological department, Shahjahanpur recorded the maximum rainfall of 241.2 mm while Lucknow recorded 54.6 mm.
- Rains to slow, flooding rivers will recede - Jul 30, 2011
- Heavy rains predicted in Himachal - Jul 08, 2012
- Monsoon showers bring relief to UP - Jul 07, 2012
- Hubdreds of Uttar Pradesh villages flooded - Aug 02, 2011
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
- 42 killed in Uttar Pradesh storms, rains cool north India (Roundup) - May 21, 2011
- Hundreds of tourists stranded in Himachal Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Floods claim seven lives in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2009
- Rivers near danger mark in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 16, 2012
- Rains in parts of Uttar Pradesh - Apr 26, 2011
- Heavy rains likely in Himachal - Jun 26, 2011
- Monsoon active again in Himachal - Sep 03, 2012
- 33 IPS officers shifted in UP, power chief also booted out - Jul 31, 2012
- Rains bring relief to parts of Uttar Pradesh - Jul 16, 2011
- Lawyers strike work in UP, demand security - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: casualties, circulation, deaths, district magistrate, fatehpur, financial compensation, flood, full swing, gupta, heavy rain, heavy rains, maximum number, meteorological department, moradabad, oct 7, rainfall, roof collapses, showers, weather system