Heavy rains claim 15 lives in Uttar PradeshJuly 18th, 2008 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 18 (IANS) At least 15 people were killed in rain related incidents in eight districts of Uttar Pradesh in the past 24 hours, officials said Friday. House collapses due to heavy rains caused most of the deaths, they said.
With the details of the damage caused by Thursday’s rainfall still being collected, officials said the casualties were reported from Barabanki, Kanpur, Siddharth Nagar, Unnao, Bahraich, Mainpuri, Bareilly and Firozabad districts.
The maximum number of deaths was reported from Barabanki, where four people died in separate incidents of wall and ceiling collapse.
“The casualties have been reported from Ramsanai and Nawabganj tehsils of the district,” Barabanki district magistrate Ravindra Nair told IANS.
The district administration has already distributed compensation to the bereaved family members and also those displaced following the rains, he added.
Meanwhile, the Ghagra and the Sharda rivers in the state were flowing above the danger mark following the sudden release of water in the rivers from Nepal, officials said.
“Water levels in Ghaghra and Sharda have been rising above the danger mark in Bahraich and Lakhimpur districts of the state,” an official with the state disaster management department told IANS.
- Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate - Jul 01, 2011
- Rains to slow, flooding rivers will recede - Jul 30, 2011
- Rivers near danger mark in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 16, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate, situation alarming - Aug 25, 2010
- Floods claim seven lives in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2009
- Four kids killed in house collapse in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 26, 2010
- Floods threaten large swathes of north India (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- Hubdreds of Uttar Pradesh villages flooded - Aug 02, 2011
- Hundreds of villages flooded in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 19, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate, another 200,000 affected - Sep 22, 2008
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate after heavy rains - Jul 19, 2008
- Flood victims in Uttar Pradesh district grumble administrative apathy - Aug 26, 2009
- Flash flood threat looms in Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh districts - Aug 28, 2010
Tags: bareilly, bereaved family members, casualties, collapse, danger mark, disaster management, district administration, district magistrate, firozabad, ghaghra, ghagra, heavy rains, kanpur, management department, maximum number, nair, rainfall, ravindra, state disaster, water levels