Haryana flood threat rises after Yamuna headwork damagedSeptember 13th, 2010 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 13 (IANS) The flood threat in Haryana has risen after the Tajewala headwork on the Yamuna in Yamunanagar district suffered extensive damage Monday, allowing the fast flowing waters to inundate low-lying villages, officials said.
“One corner of the Tajewala headwork has been washed away with the strong current of water. It will certainly dissipate the regulatory power of the point and pose a threat of floods in the nearby villages,” an official said here.
“Water is flowing at very fast pace through this headwork. However, our officials are monitoring the situation.”
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda Monday carried out an aerial survey of the flood-affected areas in Yamunanagar district.
Over 125 villages were flooded in Panipat and Yamunanagar districts last Wednesday as the Yamuna river overflowed its banks. Rescue work is on in the flood-affected villages.
Meanwhile, the discharge of water from Hathni Kund barrage into the Yamuna was over 265,944 cusecs.
“Flood water that had entered the villages and the agricultural land after peak discharge of 7.07 lakh cusecs a couple of days back, has started receding,” a revenue department spokesman said, adding there was damage to the Yamuna embankment at many places due to erosion
“Incessant rain in various parts of Haryana yesterday (Sunday) has increased flood discharge to 47,907 cusecs in the Ghaggar river. Preventive measures have been taken to check further erosion of embankments. No loss of life and property is reported so far,” he added.
- Haryana has no role in Yamuna's rising: officials - Aug 22, 2010
- Haryana calls in army even as floodwater recedes (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Two highways, villages flooded in Haryana (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Flood situation 'under control' in Haryana - Sep 22, 2010
- Yamuna water level receding: Haryana officials - Sep 12, 2010
- Haryana not releasing water in Yamuna deliberately - Sep 10, 2010
- Yamuna flowing at alarming level in Haryana, two killed - Sep 11, 2010
- Rain fury in north India, rivers in spate (Roundup) - Sep 23, 2010
- Flood threat again looms over Haryana - Sep 20, 2010
- More Yamuna water headed towards Delhi - Sep 08, 2010
- Yamuna sees maximum discharge in 32 years (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Fresh breach in Yamuna poses flood threat to Haryana - Sep 23, 2010
- Yamuna flood threat recedes in Haryana - Sep 25, 2010
- Yamuna in spate, flood threat looms over Haryana, Delhi (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Yamuna recedes but stays above danger mark - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: aerial survey, agricultural land, barrage, bhupinder singh hooda, chief minister, department spokesman, embankment, flood discharge, flood threat, flood water, flowing waters, headwork, incessant rain, lakh, nearby villages, panipat, peak discharge, preventive measures, regulatory power, yamuna river