Haryana advises people not to kill wild animalsJanuary 15th, 2011 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 15 (IANS) Following the killing of a leopard by villagers in Haryana’s Faridabad district earlier this week, the state’s forest department Saturday issued an advisory to people not to kill wild animals protected under the Wildlife Protection Act.Financial Commissioner and Principal Secretary, Forests, Krishna Mohan said Saturday that people have been advised to avoid surrounding any animal which comes near a village or an inhabited area.
“People have been asked not to enter into eye contact with a wild animal. In the event of an animal entering a house or farm, they have been told to give way to it and not surround it,” he said.
“Animals run away after seeing a human being. When besieged or encircled, the animals tend to attack humans,” Krishna Mohan said, quoting the advisory.
The advisory told people to light a fire or beat drums to make noise, in case they suspect that an animal was lurking around at night.
He said that besides issuance of an advisory, village heads have been tasked with the responsibility of making villagers aware of safety measures in place in their respective villages to protect people from wild animals.
“Capturing, injuring or killing a leopard is punishable with seven years’ imprisonment,” he added.
Residents of a village in Faridabad district had surrounded and beaten a leopard to death in the presence of wildlife department officials and police after the animal attacked a woman working in farms Jan 12.
- Haryana to penalise people harming leopards - Feb 25, 2011
- Odisha releases captured leopard after protests - Aug 08, 2012
- Leopard captured in Odisha made to 'entertain' locals - Jul 09, 2012
- Odisha to release captured leopard into wild - Aug 07, 2012
- Missing in action, Uttarakhand's goral and barking deer (With Images) - May 18, 2012
- Wild animals kill 22 in Himachal - Mar 21, 2012
- Manhunt launched for leopard killers in Orissa - Jan 14, 2011
- Another leopard becomes victim of human fury - Jan 13, 2011
- Hot on trail of a Himachal leopard - with GPS - Oct 26, 2010
- Barking dogs attract leopards from wild - Oct 10, 2011
- Assam forest ranger rescues leopard, gets injured - Jul 26, 2011
- Man-eater leopard trapped alive by wildlife enthusiast - Nov 18, 2011
- Leopard strikes again in Guwahati - Jan 20, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh villagers kill leopard for alleged trespassing into human settlement - Feb 21, 2010
- Officials face villagers' wrath over leopard attacks - Nov 09, 2011
Tags: act financial, department officials, drums, eye contact, faridabad, forest department, forests, imprisonment, issuance, krishna mohan, leopard, presence, principal secretary, safety measures, seven years, wild animal, wild animals, wildlife department, wildlife protection act