Gujarat zoo staff to be trained in Singapore on cheetah careMay 27th, 2009 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Junagadh, May 27 (IANS) Two officials of the Sakkarbaug Zoo in this Gujarat town, which houses two cheetahs brought from Singapore, will travel to the island nation next month to learn ways to help the animals cope with the harsh Indian summer.
Veterinary officer C.N. Bhuva and caretaker Salim Chauhan have been asked by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to head to Singapore, a wildlife official in the Junagadh division of the state forest department told IANS.
The cheetahs - one male and one female - were exchanged by the Gujarat government for three Asiatic lions in June last year. But the harsh summer conditions made the cheetahs uncomfortable in the zoo which prompted the authorities to remove the animals from public view in April.
The cheetahs are currently lodged in a customised enclosure, which is temperature controlled and are served food only approved by the veterinarians every day.
The cheetahs need special attention round-the-clock as they are the only surviving pair lodged in any zoo in India right now.
The cheetahs were brought to India to enable successful breeding. Earlier attempts to breed cheetahs brought to India from several countries in the past three decades have failed as they could not withstand the Indian summer in any zoo, the official added.
- Indian summer too hot for Cheetahs from Singapore - May 06, 2009
- Gujarat looking at return of Asiatic cheetah - Apr 20, 2010
- Coolers, sheds, mangos...beating summer blues at Delhi Zoo - May 09, 2012
- Forest rangers rescue leopard in Junagadh - Nov 01, 2009
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Kolkata zoo to get kangaroos - May 19, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh's Asiatic Lion safari plan finalised - Jun 10, 2012
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Sitarist Anoushka Shankar asks people to boycott zoos - May 05, 2011
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- Junagadh zoo to get cheetahs from Singapore - Jun 12, 2008
- Rising deer population a headache for Delhi Zoo - Dec 30, 2010
- No romance for Delhi zoo's bears, deer this winter - Nov 20, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh to welcome 60 African cheetahs (Lead, Correcting word in para four) - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: asiatic lions, attempts, authorities, bhuva, caretaker, cheetah, cheetahs, chief minister, gujarat government, indian summer, island nation, narendra, salim, singapore, state forest department, three decades, veterinarians, veterinary officer, wildlife official, zoo staff