Gujarat coast on alert for high-velocity windsJune 24th, 2009 - 6:29 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, June 24 (IANS) Fishermen in Saurashtra and Kutch of Gujarat were Wednesday asked not to venture out to the sea without checking the weather advisory as there was possibility of high-velocity wind blowing over the Arabian Sea in the region.
The state fisheries department issued the alert to the fishermen for the 24 hours from Wednesday afternoon.
“The upper layer depression in the Arabian Sea was centred 100 km from the port town of Porbander in the morning (Wednesday) and is moving northwards with wind velocity expected at 65 km per hour, which is dangerous for fishermen who decide to venture out even a few nautical miles from the coast during the evening hours,” an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said.
He said that high velocity wind could start blowing particularly in the coastal areas around Jamnagar and Porbander by 11 p.m. Wednesday.
The Indian Coast Guard had been put on high alert to deal with any emergencies.
- Cyclone Phet may give Gujarat a miss (Lead) - Jun 03, 2010
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Gujarat readies for cyclone Phet, squalls hit coastal areas (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclone Phet may hit Gujarat in next few days - Jun 02, 2010
- Cyclone Phet may hit Gujarat during weekend - Jun 03, 2010
- Storm alert: Vessels warned off south Gujarat coast - Jul 15, 2009
- Cyclone nearing west coast, fishermen warned (With Images) - Nov 10, 2009
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Rains claim 16 lives, damage crops in Andhra - Dec 08, 2010
- Andhra escapes rain fury as depression moves to Orissa - Oct 08, 2010
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclone Thane makes landfall in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Deep depression crosses West Bengal coast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: arabian sea, coast guard, coastal areas, emergencies, evening hours, fisheries department, fishermen, gujarat, high velocity, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, jamnagar, june 24, kutch, nautical miles, saurashtra, state fisheries, weather, wednesday afternoon, wind velocity