Greenpeace hold protest over Barbie packagingJune 8th, 2011 - 11:43 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
El Segundo, June 8 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Barbie’s maker Mattel has been accused of degrading the environment by Greenpeace. A group of protesters from the environmental policing agency staged a protest in front of Mattel’s headquarters in El Segundo.
The police were called in when the protesters hanged a huge banner in front of the headquarters. The police arrested 10 of the activists when they got to the location. Greenpeace accuses Mattel of using packaging materials made from forest products in Indonesia.
A senior officer of Greenpeace USA said that, “Barbie’s dirty secret is that her packaging is made from the rain forests of Indonesia. Mattel has shown no due diligence. It buys paper without asking where it’s coming from.”
Mattel has denied the accusations of Greenpeace saying they have always been responsible. The company assured that they will continue to be responsible and seek greener ways to package their products.
Greenpeace has been in the forefront in the fight to get major companies in the world to regard the environment. The campaign which has been ongoing for decades has been joined by about 2.8 million people all over the world. They have offices in about 41 countries and their war have forced companies like King Burger, McDonalds, Nestle, Unilever and others to consider their practices.
Mattel is the world’s biggest toymaker.
- Indian palm oil firms make Indonesian eco-disaster: Greenpeace - Jun 19, 2012
- Barbie doll creator dead - Jul 24, 2011
- New Barbie dolls for Olympics 2012 - Jul 26, 2012
- Mattel to give Barbie's boyfriend Ken makeover in new reality series - Mar 24, 2011
- Barbie dolls inspired by Kardashian sisters - Jan 06, 2012
- Barbie to go bald - Apr 01, 2012
- Barbie gets Posh-style designer revamp - Feb 09, 2010
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- Unilever cuts ties with key palm oil supplier to India - Dec 11, 2009
- Ken and Barbie's fate put to Facebook vote - Feb 09, 2011
- World's most expensive Barbie auctioned for $302K! - Oct 21, 2010
- Barbie doll-maker slammed over recruitment of models as young as 12 - Feb 13, 2011
- Will Barbie doll sport a bald look? - Jan 13, 2012
- Barbie Doll moment for Nicki Minaj - Dec 04, 2011
- Actress Lucy Lawless arrested - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: accusations, activists, barbie, decades, dirty secret, due diligence, el segundo, forefront, forest products, greenpeace, greenpeace usa, indonesia, king burger, mattel, mcdonalds, packaging materials, protesters, rain forests, toymaker, unilever