Green tribunal to hear plea against new Hindon river bridgeJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, Jan 23 (IANS) The Supreme Court has told a petitioner to move the National Green Tribunal over his allegation of an environmental threat from a proposed bridge over the Hindon river in Ghaziabad, a lawyer said Monday. The plea may come up before the tribunal Feb 14.
Vikrant Sharma withdrew the petition, filed on behalf of the Rashtriya Jal Biradari, following the court’s suggestion.
The petitioner is opposing the construction of the proposed Karhera bridge, the third over the Hindon, near a point where the river takes a curve.
The petition allege that the proposal to build the bridge on an artificial embankment would stop the natural flow of river water and cause a flood in addition to environmental loss.
Sharma’s counsel said he withdrew the petition after the court said that “the liberty is granted to the petitioners to move to the National Green Tribunal”.
“We are happy that the apex court accepted our plea and opined that we could move before the National Green Tribunal. The tribunal would hear the case on Feb 14,” counsel said.
The petition said an Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi professor also opposed the construction of the bridge at the proposed point.
The IIT expert said that if the government was adamant on building the bridge then it should build the structure on pillars, instead of on the artificial embankment, leaving the river free to choose its own course.
- Don't dump debris on Hindon river bed: Tribunal - Apr 22, 2012
- Remove debris from Hindon river bed: Tribunal - Jul 29, 2012
- Bridge on Hindon river a disaster, say activists - Jun 01, 2011
- Greens fume over bridge across river Hindon - May 24, 2011
- Save the Hindon river, say activists (With image) - Jun 03, 2011
- Apex court questions environment ministry on Niyamgiri (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Supreme Court dismisses plea by retired judge - Nov 04, 2011
- Green court questions government on Jaitapur n-plant - Sep 29, 2011
- Court notice on villagers' plea against oil depot (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Delhi court defers Yamuna embankment petition - Jan 21, 2011
- SC notice on green nod for Maharashtra power project (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- SC declines plea on Tamil Nadu government's secretariat (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Green tribunal stops Himachal hydropower project - Jul 29, 2011
- Supreme Court notice on IAS officer's bail plea - Oct 20, 2011
- Apex court reserves verdict on Talwars' trial transfer plea - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: allegation, apex court, building the bridge, embankment, environmental threat, feb 14, ghaziabad, hindon, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology delhi, jal, natural flow, petitioner, petitioners, pillars, plea, proposed bridge, river bridge, river water, vikrant