Green lobby wants Odisha projects’ impact re-auditedFebruary 13th, 2012 - 1:22 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 13 (IANS) A network of civil society organisations Monday urged authorities to re-visit the environment impact assessment (EIA) carried out for different projects in Odisha, as many of those “undervalued” the damage.
Water Initiatives Odisha (WIO), a network of civil society organizations, which has been working on water-related issues in the state said the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has recently confirmed that “consultants” are including “cooked data” in the key EIA reports.
“We have been saying this since quite a long time. Now with the vindication of the same by NGT, the authorities should re-look to the reports on the basis of which clearances were given to some big ticket projects in the state,” WIO convenor Ranjan Panda told IANS.
“Now that the NGT has pointed out such malpractices, we urge upon both the state and central governments to revisit the reports of industrial projects, at least of some major projects like POSCO,” Panda said.
“Let there be an open public audit of the reports of such projects with independent people being given charge of screening those, and experts from different fields along with people from the locality giving their views,” said Panda.
“Let the government have the guts to cancel the reports if they are found ‘forged’, ‘cooked’ and ‘insufficient’, and call for fresh EIA reports and public hearings,” added Panda.
- Cultivated area in Odisha declining, says NGO - Mar 31, 2012
- Activists demand fresh study on Orissa thermal plants - Sep 21, 2011
- Green tribunal scraps Posco's $12bn Odisha project (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- NGO opposes proposed water allocation plan - Apr 27, 2011
- Green tribunal scraps Posco's $12bn Odisha project (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Orissa's energy plans to trigger water crisis: NGO - Mar 22, 2011
- Governor insists on probe into Orissa flood cause - Oct 15, 2011
- Orissa floods: A man-made disaster? - Sep 15, 2011
- Expert team to submit report on Posco by October - Aug 23, 2012
- MoEF expert team visits Posco plant site in Odisha - Aug 21, 2012
- Green tribunal stops Himachal hydropower project - Jul 29, 2011
- Now trouble brews over NHPC projects in Orissa - Jul 23, 2011
- Anti-Posco leader released on bail in Odisha - May 18, 2012
- Jairam Ramesh blazed new trail for Indian environment (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 26, 2010
- Drinking water for Delhi: Himachal project clears legal hurdle - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: authorities, central governments, civil society organisations, civil society organizations, convenor, eia reports, environment impact assessment, guts, industrial projects, locality, major projects, malpractices, ngt, panda, posco, public hearings, ranjan, tribunal, vindication, water initiatives