Green court questions government on Jaitapur n-plantSeptember 29th, 2011 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
Ratnagiri (Maharashtra), Sep 29 (IANS) The National Green Tribunal Thursday sought a response from three government agencies on an NGO’s plea challenging the environmental clearance given to the proposed Jaitapur Nuclear Power Project (JNPP) here, a lawyer said.
Janahit Seva Samiti moved the tribunal, set up by the central government to expedite environment-related cases, on behalf of the residents of villages opposed to the project.
“Tribunal chairperson L.S. Panta and expert member Vijai Sharma heard the plea by the NGO and sought responses from the Union of India, Maharashtra Pollution Control Board and the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd. by November first week,” said Ritwick Dutta, the NGO’s lawyer.
The NGO is based in Madban village of Ratnagiri district where JNPP is coming up.
Last December, the Jaitapur project got a green nod with 35 riders. While granting the clearance, the ministry of environment and forests relied heavily on the biodiversity report prepared by the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) as against the environment impact assessment (EIA) report prepared by the National Environmental Engineering Research Institute.
- Court issues notice on suit challenging Jaitapur n-plant - Apr 12, 2012
- Green tribunal stops Himachal hydropower project - Jul 29, 2011
- Panta new Himachal Lokayukta - Aug 24, 2011
- German bank pulls out of Jaitapur nuclear project: Greenpeace - Mar 15, 2011
- Chavan meets Manmohan Singh on Jaitapur project - Apr 26, 2011
- Can take a 'relook' at Jaitapur environment concerns: Ramesh - Mar 15, 2011
- PM asked to cancel Jaitapur nuclear project - Aug 26, 2012
- National Green Tribunal starts functioning - Jul 04, 2011
- Reassess green clearance to Jaitapur n-plant, says BJP - Dec 28, 2010
- Himachal Lokayukta will be strengthened, says new chief - Feb 03, 2012
- Nuclear plant in Maharashtra's Jaitapur cleared: says Ramesh (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Jaitapur will be implemented, declares Jairam Ramesh - Apr 15, 2011
- Jaitapur plant's safety not my job: Jairam - Mar 16, 2011
- Shiv Sena threatens to oppose Jaitapur n-project - Dec 06, 2010
- Malafide protests against Jaitapur will not be tolerated: Narayan Rane - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: bnhs, bombay natural history society, central government, chairperson, engineering research institute, environment impact assessment, environmental clearance, environmental engineering research, expert member, india ltd, maharashtra pollution control board, ministry of environment, ministry of environment and forests, natural history society, ngo, nuclear power corporation, nuclear power project, panta, pollution control board, ratnagiri