GPS technology may become compulsory for fishing trawlersDecember 15th, 2009 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 15 (IANS) The Goa government is considering making global positioning system (GPS) a compulsory fitting on board the 1,200-odd trawlers in the state in the wake of 67 fishermen losing their lives to Cyclone Phyan in November.
The state fisheries department had sent a proposal to the central government for the same, Fisheries Minister Joaquim Alemao said during the winter session of the Goa legislative assembly Tuesday.
“We are thinking of making it compulsory. The central government has a scheme which covers Rs.1.5 lakh per boat for setting up of the GPS on board a trawler,” Alemao said, adding that the state could bear the remaining cost of Rs.50,000 required to set up the facility on board the vessel.
Once fitted on board a vessel, GPS technology helps identify the exact location of a boat and is of tremendous assistance in tracking down boats or ships in distress.
Earlier, Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar said that families of several deceased fishermen had still not received compensation from the state government and from insurance agencies.
“The state government should indemnify the deaths of these poor trawler hands. Or their families will not even avail of the insurance cover,” the former chief minister said.
Parrikar further said that because 65 of the 67 fishermen who died in the cyclone were non-Goan, the deaths had gone relatively unnoticed.
“There is no one here to shout for them. The death of 67 fishermen is one of Goa’s biggest human tragedies,” he said.
- 68 fishermen still missing after Cyclone Phyan: Goa chief minister - Nov 13, 2009
- Trawlers in Goa to get walkie takies to enhance coastal security - Jul 23, 2009
- Book weatherman for failing to give storm warning: Goa BJP - Nov 17, 2009
- 45 Goa fishermen missing after Cyclone Phyan - Nov 12, 2009
- Some fishing boats found in cyclone-hit sea, 60 still missing (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- Six trawlers, 50 Goan fishermen missing in cyclone - Nov 13, 2009
- Search still on to locate missing fishermen in Goa - Nov 12, 2009
- British MP's political outing in Goa draws flak - Feb 14, 2012
- Contact established with more missing Tamil Nadu fishermen - Nov 15, 2009
- Cyclone effect: Trawlers missing off Goa coast - Nov 11, 2009
- 80 fishing boats, 800 men missing in cyclone-hit Arabian Sea (Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- Missing fishing boat found after 40 days with six bodies - Dec 20, 2009
- 7 sailors rescued off Goa beach - Jul 28, 2012
- BJP to release own report on Goa's illegal mining - Oct 08, 2011
- Goa extends fishing ban so fish stays on plate - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,