Goa legalises bullfightingMarch 25th, 2009 - 12:16 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 24 (IANS) The Goa legislative assembly Tuesday unanimously passed amendments to the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (PCA) act legalising ‘dhirio’ or bullfighting in the coastal state.
The house passed the controversial private members bill moved by Congress lawmaker Reginaldo Lourenco giving legislative sanction to the traditional sport of bullfighting that was banned following a directive from the Panaji bench of the Bombay High Court about a decade ago.
The legislative sanction however comes with a rider. “Proper guidelines will have to be issued form time to time to ensure that cruelty to the animals is kept in check,” Lourenco said, referring to the existing tradition of bullfighting in certain parts of Tamil Nadu.
Intervening in the discussion, Speaker Pratapsing Rane suggested that the sport of bullfighting would cause harm to animals.
Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar also advocated a regulation to ensure safety of the animals.
Former chief minister and MP Francisco Sardinha had also introduced a bill in the Lok Sabha in February this year, seeking to legalise bullfighting in Goa, which he claimed could help promote tourism in the state.
- BJP journeys from protecting cows to supporting bullfights - Apr 21, 2009
- PETA criticises legalisation of bullfights in Goa - Apr 22, 2009
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- Congress demands ban on 'Kya Super Kool Hain Hum' in Goa - Aug 16, 2012
- Congress accuses BJP of 'U-turn' on casino, illegal mining - Aug 22, 2012
- Parrikar assures crackdown on illegal mining in Goa - Mar 26, 2012
- Legislator objects to Goa depiction in 'Kya Super Kool...' - Aug 01, 2012
- Goa education minister loses 'face' on Facebook - Sep 09, 2010
- Will sue BJP leaders over mining charge: Goa minister - Oct 10, 2011
- Speaker drops Parrikar from public accounts committee - Oct 07, 2011
- Congress promises to build bullfighting ring in Goa - Apr 06, 2009
- Congress MP wants bull-fighting in Goa, PETA complains to Sonia - Feb 20, 2009
- Congress demands auction of Goa iron ore mines - Aug 27, 2012
- Goa speaker biased: Parrikar - Oct 08, 2011
- Teachers accused of misconduct to be kept away: Parrikar - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: amendments, bench, bombay high court, bullfighting, chief minister, coastal state, cruelty to animals, goa, lawmaker, leader of opposition, legislative assembly, legislative sanction, Lok Sabha, manohar, panaji, prevention of cruelty to animals, private members bill, reginaldo, sardinha, traditional sport