Goa forest guards get motorbikes to check crimeSeptember 17th, 2010 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 17 (IANS) Dealing with tiger poaching and illegal mining isn’t really a walk in the park. Perhaps that is why forest guards in Goa’s seven wildlife sanctuaries will now whiz through the woods on motorcycles to detect and check forest crime.
State Forest Minister Filipe Neri Rodrigues, who handed over 30 motorcycles to forest guards in Panaji, told reporters Friday that the 100 cc bikes would ensure mobility and quick reaction as far as forest-related crimes like poaching are concerned.
“They earlier used cycles or go on foot for patrolling. The two-wheelers would help in reacting quickly and cover a bigger area for patrolling,” Rodrigues said.
The minister said the motorcycles were procured from funds under Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA), a central fund for maintenance of forests.
“We have received Rs.12.2 crore as the first instalment of the fund this year. We have worked out annual plan which envisages purchase of vehicles, mobile phone connections, research and boundary clearance survey,” he said.
He added that the state government was also studying a proposal to set up a comprehensive wireless network in all wildlife sanctuaries.
Goa’s forest cover of approximately 1,400 sq km and seven wildlife sanctuaries are under threat from illegal mining, which is eating into the forest areas, largely in collusion with top forest department officials, according to wildlife activists.
A recent tiger poaching incident and attempts by the officials to allegedly hush up the matter has brought the forest department under cloud.
- Goa to step up forest patrol with GPS - Feb 25, 2011
- Tigers in Goa? Forest minister dodges queries - Aug 08, 2011
- Goa plans to revive 60 mines in sanctuary - Oct 29, 2011
- Pawar aide's illegal mine being probed: Goa minister - Mar 17, 2011
- Ministers cite opposition to tiger reserve in Goa - Jul 19, 2011
- Activists roar for tiger reserve as Goa drags feet - Jul 11, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister bats for tourism in tiger reserves - Nov 17, 2011
- Vedanta Resources mines operated illegally in Goa: minister - Mar 17, 2011
- Goa activists happy with Jairam's tiger reserve initiative - Jun 29, 2011
- Goa may add to India's tiger numbers - Apr 17, 2011
- Goa orders moratorium on diversion of forest land - Mar 23, 2011
- Award for Goa company accused of illegal mining - Mar 18, 2011
- Mining in Goa tiger territory? - Dec 07, 2010
- Tiger, tiger burning bright in Goa's forests - Feb 06, 2011
- Goa-Maharashtra irrigation project by 2013 - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: collusion, crore, department officials, filipe, forest areas, forest cover, forest department, forest guards, forest minister, fund management, goa, instalment, mobile phone connections, planning authority, rodrigues, state forest, two wheelers, walk in the park, whiz, wildlife sanctuaries