Goa firms get show cause for pollutionAugust 8th, 2012 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 8 (IANS) Top mining companies in Goa have been issued show cause notice by the state government for dumping mining rejects and polluting water bodies.
The offending companies include Vedanta Resources subsidiary Sesa Goa Ltd (SGL) and Sociedade de Fomento Industries (SFI), according to government data.
In a written reply tabled Wednesday in the Goa assembly, Water Resources Minister Dayanand Mandrekar said there were 62 instances of water bodies like lakes, rivers and canals being polluted by mining rejects.
SGL has been issued show cause notice for 11 instances of dumping of mining rejects in water bodies.
Chowgule and Co has been hauled up for eight instances of dumping of rejects, while SFI has been has been issued notice for four infringements.
Another mining company, V.M. Salgaonkar and Co, has been issued notices for six instances of dumping rejects in fresh water bodies.
Dumping of iron ore mining rejects is taking its toll on Goa’s water resources.
According to a Public Works Department study, the manganese content in Goa’s major water body, Selaulim reservoir, has gone up sixfold because of the rain-induced run off.
The Selaulim reservoir, 50 km from here, provides nearly 180 million tons of water every day to half of Goa’s 14 lakh odd population.
Goa exports nearly 50 million tons of ore, sourced from 90 odd mines.
- 182 mining leases in Goa near water bodies: Minister - Aug 02, 2010
- 'Mining rejects can be used to buffer Goa water bodies' - Jul 21, 2012
- Village downs shutters protesting pollution from Goa plant - Aug 27, 2012
- Goa to inspect safety of 100 mining operations - Jul 25, 2011
- Goa asks 100 mines to beef up monsoon maintenance - Jul 22, 2011
- Government pulls up 20 percent mines - Sep 18, 2011
- China using up Goa's iron ore: Report - Sep 08, 2012
- Award for Goa company accused of illegal mining - Mar 18, 2011
- Goa orders shutdown at soot emitting plant - Aug 28, 2012
- '25 mn tonnes illegal ore extracted in five years in Goa' - Nov 23, 2011
- Goa's battle against mining reaches London - Jun 29, 2011
- Most mining in Goa without pollution clearance - Mar 26, 2010
- Goa to frame new mining policy - Jul 30, 2010
- 40 mining companies in Goa issued notice - Apr 06, 2012
- Goa board worried over mining rejects being dumped in reservoir - Sep 02, 2009
Tags: 50 million, canals, chowgule, fresh water, goa assembly, government data, infringements, instances, iron ore mining, lakh, manganese content, mining companies, mining company, sgl, sourced, state government, vedanta resources, water bodies, water body, water resources