Global warming affecting Tibetan plateau: Dalai LamaJanuary 13th, 2010 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 13 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama Wednesday said global warming is a major problem that the world is facing today and the Tibetan plateau is already facing its impact.
Speaking in Chandragiri in Gajapati district of Orissa, he said. “Global warming is a major problem the world is facing today. It is certainly a major problem, we can’t overlook it.”
He said the Tibetan plateau is already facing the impact of global warming and it will have other repercussions as several rivers originate in the Tibetan region.
“The problem is much more serious than it is perceived to be. The glaciers are melting at a faster rate in the Himalayan region and deep inside Tibet. So it is very essential that we address it fast,” he added.
He also thanked the Indian government and the state government for taking care of the Tibetan people.
- Tibetan plateau facing environmental degradation: Report - Sep 05, 2011
- Dalai Lama on Wikileak - focus on climate not politics in Tibet - Dec 17, 2010
- Black carbon deposits on Himalayas threaten Earth's 'Third Pole' - Dec 15, 2009
- Dalai Lama to inaugurate Buddhist monastery in Orissa - Jan 10, 2010
- Tibetan self immolations: Why isn't the world listening? (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
- Dalai Lama begins four day Orissa visit - Jan 11, 2010
- Dalai Lama issues warning on melting Tibetan glaciers - Apr 03, 2011
- Soot on Tibetan snow causes rainfall over India, China - Mar 04, 2011
- Dalai Lama finally relinquishes political powers (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Be responsible human beings: Dalai Lama - Dec 31, 2011
- Reincarnation is my personal right: Dalai Lama - Sep 23, 2011
- Attempted self-immolation by Tibetan against Hu Jintao's visit (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- Chinese training Tibetan women to poison Dalai Lama? (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- UN asks China to suspend resettlement of Tibetan nomads - Feb 01, 2012