Giant quake earthquake rocks JapanAugust 9th, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
More than 40 people have been injured as the result of a powerful magnitude 7.2 earthquake off the north-east coast of Japan earlier today.
The quake struck at 11.46am (0246GMT) with the epicenter placed 20km (12.4 miles) below the ocean off Miyagi prefecture
Japan’s meteorological agency issued a tsunami alert but later lifted it after two small waves 10cm high (four inches) hit the coast about 15 minutes after the quake.
The quake shook buildings in the capital Tokyo, some 300km (186 miles) away, with the majority of casualties occurring when the roof of a swimming pool collapsed in Sendai city, Miyagi prefecture.
The quake caused bullet trains services to be suspended, three nuclear power station were shut down automatically for safety checks, flights at Tokyo’s Haneda airport were temporarily halted, and some 17,000 households were reported to have lost power supply.
Tokyo was hit by a magnitude 6.0 earthquake last month, which injured at least 18 people.
The country’s deadliest quake in recent memory occurred in the city of Kobe in 1995, with a magnitude of 7.3, that killed more than 6,400 people.
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Massive tsunami claims over 100 lives in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Massive tsunami kills 23 in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunami damages northern Japan, 10 nations on alert - Mar 11, 2011
- Powerful quake strikes off northeastern Japan, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2011
- Disaster management operations on: Japan PM - Mar 11, 2011
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong quake jolts northeast Japan, tsunami warning lifted (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Magnitude 6.5 quake hits off coast of Japan, tsunami warning issued (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 10, 2011
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- We feel helpless, say Japanese nationals in Delhi - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan tsunami toll likely to rise over 1,600 - Mar 12, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: bullet trains, capital tokyo, casualties, earthquake rocks japan, epicenter, four inches, haneda airport, kobe, magnitude, meteorological agency, miyagi prefecture, north east coast, nuclear power station, quake, safety checks, sendai city, small waves, swimming pool, trains services, tsunami alert