German chancellor writes to PM over Leh floodsAugust 10th, 2010 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) German Chancellor Angela Merkel has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, expressing her sadness and concern over the casualties in the devastating flash floods in Leh in Jammu and Kashmir.
“I have been greatly saddened by the news of the disastrous floods in the Ladakh region in which many people have been killed or injured,” wrote Merkel to Manmohan Singh, according to the German embassy Tuesday.
“Permit me at this difficult time to offer you my heartfelt condolences. Those who have lost their loved ones are especially in my thoughts. To all who have been injured I wish a speedy recovery,” said Merkel in her letter written Monday.
The toll in the catastrophic flash floods caused by Friday’s cloudburst in Leh has risen to 165. Around 81 foreign tourists were rescued by the Indian Air Force from Zanskar Valley of Ladakh region, police said Tuesday.
- Flash floods: special control room set up for foreigners - Aug 10, 2010
- PM announces Rs.1 lakh for kin of Leh cloudburst victims (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Monasteries in Leh not damaged in flash floods - Aug 06, 2010
- Leh toll rises to 165, 81 foreigners rescued - Aug 10, 2010
- 80 dead, 300 injured in flash floods in Leh - Aug 06, 2010
- PM expresses grief over loss of lives in Leh flash floods - Aug 06, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway partially reopened - Aug 10, 2010
- PM to visit Leh Tuesday - Aug 15, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi mourns deaths in Leh flash floods - Aug 06, 2010
- PM announces Rs.1 lakh for kin of Leh cloudburst victims - Aug 06, 2010
- PM to visit Leh on Tuesday - Aug 15, 2010
- 103 dead, 370 injured in flash floods in Leh - Aug 06, 2010
- Will do everything for rehabilitation of Ladhakh: PM - Aug 15, 2010
- BJP mourns Leh flood deaths - Aug 06, 2010
- Leh tragedy toll 120, Indian Airlines ferrying out tourists (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: angela merkel, casualties, chancellor angela merkel, cloudburst, disastrous floods, flash floods, german chancellor angela merkel, german embassy, heartfelt condolences, indian air force, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, ladakh region, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sadness, speedy recovery