Geminid Meteor Shower Displays Spectacular Celestial ExtravaganzaDecember 14th, 2010 - 8:22 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Dec 14, (THAINDIAN NEWS) December has been one of the best times for the sky watchers. Last night probably offered the most delighting moments to them. Sky watchers all over the world were indulged in peeping into the sky to have a glimpse Geminid meteor shower, that continued till 6:00 a.m.
This time it was the turn of the Gemini Constellation to display the spectacular the striptease of its meteors. About 50 to 120 meteors illuminated the sky with its vivacious radiance every hour. All those who are lucky enough to lead a clam life away from the polluted cities, probably felt even luckier, with the chilled winter sky right above their head, getting adorned with the bright meteors. However, this meteor shower was a little bit different in nature. It generated from the tails of a comet, which were produced by rocky celestial leftovers. Although this meteor shower started from December 13, peak of the annual Geminid meteor shower reached last night. This celestial extravaganza may be called the major meteor shower of 2010. It started with about twenty meteor shower per hour, during the sunset and it increased to more than 100 showers during the peak hours that lasted through out the midnight till the dawn. The views were less visible in the populated areas, maligned with huge sky scrappers and pollution, but they were intensely perceived in the country sides.
However, if one has missed this annual event, then NASA has a surprise in store. They would be uploading a video of Geminid meteor shower in their website. This video has been filmed by Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alaska.
- Geminid meteor shower to offer dazzling spectacle on Dec 14 - Dec 10, 2010
- Watch out for Geminid meteor shower Wednesday - Dec 12, 2011
- Leonid Meteor Shower 2010 Dazzles Night Sky - Nov 18, 2010
- Watch out for Perseids meteor showers Sunday - Aug 10, 2012
- Sky gazers in for celestial treat Tuesday - Dec 13, 2010
- Geminid meteor shower to peak on December 13 - Dec 10, 2009
- Halley's Comet Remnanats To Be Seen In Meteor Shower - May 06, 2010
- Sky gazers in for celestial treat - Dec 13, 2009
- Clouds may obscure Perseids meteor showers Saturday - Aug 12, 2011
- Best time to see the Leonid Meteor Shower 2010 is now - Nov 17, 2010
- Meteor shower to sparkle sky Thursday - Aug 11, 2010
- Geminid Meteor Shower Provides An Enthralling Experience To Stargazers - Dec 14, 2009
- Meteor showers from Halley's comet to peak this Friday! - May 04, 2011
- Orionid Shower Light Up The Sky - Oct 21, 2009
- Leonid meteor shower to peak Thursday - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: bright meteors, clam, comet, extravaganza, gemini constellation, geminid meteor shower, huntsville, kar, leftovers, marshall space flight, marshall space flight center, meena, nasa, peak hours, polluted cities, radiance, sky scrappers, sky watchers, space flight center, winter sky