G8 business groups urge innovation to fight global warmingApril 17th, 2008 - 6:38 pm ICT by admin
Tokyo, April 17 (DPA) Business groups from the Group of Eight (G8) countries Thursday called on their governments to push for innovation to fuel the fight against climate change. It is essential that the governments of the seven leading industrialized countries and Russia cooperate with business to promote research, development and investment in technologies that produce lower emissions of carbon dioxide, said a joint declaration issued at the end of a meeting of the G8 business groups in Tokyo.
Global warming, which is caused by emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, is one of the biggest challenges the world faces, it said.
The declaration also called on the G8 governments - the US, Japan, Germany, Britain, France, Canada, Italy and Russia - to cooperate more closely to stabilize the global economy when they gather for their July summit in Japan.
An agreement on the Doha Round of World Trade Organization talks this year is also important and the promotion of innovation is critical in securing sustainable economic growth, said the business groups, which included the Japan Business Federation, Business Roundtable of the US and Confederation of British Industry.
The meetings of the groups was begun last year by the Federation of German Industries ahead of the G8 summit in Germany.
- The Climate Change Terminology (To go with Curtain Raiser) - Nov 27, 2011
- G8/G20 leaders urged to have new policies for economic recovery (Lead) - Apr 29, 2010
- G8 summit opens in US - May 19, 2012
- Chambers of commerce set agenda for G8/G20 summits - Apr 29, 2010
- China readies big climate offer, India mulls support - Nov 29, 2011
- Bangalore to host Indian Ocean Rim countries meet - Nov 08, 2011
- Texas tops US greenhouse gas emissions list - Jan 12, 2012
- Intensive land management ruins Europe's carbon sinks - Nov 28, 2009
- Asia-Pacific fastest growing greenhouse gases source: UN - Jun 06, 2012
- Rich countries may pay $10 bn this year: UN climate chief - Sep 08, 2010
- BRICS targets $500 bn intra-group trade by 2015 - Mar 28, 2012
- India fights pressure from rich nations at climate talks - Dec 02, 2011
- Eating wisely can lower carbon footprint: Study (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- BRICS to ink currency pacts, to push joint bank - Mar 28, 2012
- Eating wisely can lower carbon footprint: Study - May 14, 2012
Tags: business federation, business groups, business roundtable, carbon dioxide, climate change, confederation of british industry, emissions, france canada, g8 countries, g8 summit, german industries, global economy, global warming, greenhouse gases, industrialized countries, japan business, japan germany, organization talks, sustainable economic growth, world trade organization