Fresh snowfall likely in KashmirFebruary 12th, 2012 - 12:04 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 12 (IANS) Rain and snow has been forecast again across the Kashmir Valley Sunday and over the next two days, an official said.
The fresh snow and rain is due to the western disturbance, he said.
“We are expecting snowfall in the Valley from Sunday up to Feb 14. The snowfall could be heavy in the Pir Panchal Mountain range. Both road and air traffic is likely to get disrupted because of the western disturbance that is active over the Valley at present,” Sonam Lotus, director of the local meteorological office, said.
Western Disturbance is used to describe an extra tropical storm in the Mediterranean Sea which results in sudden rain and snowfall.
WDs play an important role for the development of the Rabi crop in India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh.
Meanwhile, the minimum temperature was 1.7 degrees Celsius in Srinagar Sunday. It was minus 1.4 degrees in Pahalgam, minus 6.5 degrees in Gulmarg, minus 8.8 degress in Kargil and minus 11 degrees Celsius in Leh.
The 40-day long period of severe cold known as “Chillai Kalan” ended on Jan 30. The Valley experienced severe winter this season with the night temperatures remaining below the freezing point.
- Major snowfall in Srinagar in coming days - Jan 12, 2012
- Fresh snow brings relief in Kashmir - Dec 20, 2011
- Rain and snow to lash Kashmir beginning Wednesday - Jan 02, 2012
- Snowy day forecast in Kashmir Valley, mountains - Dec 19, 2011
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- Fresh snowfall likely in Kashmir Valley - Feb 18, 2012
- Valley, Ladakh in for another cold wave spell - Dec 21, 2011
- Srinagar sees coldest night in 16 years, more snow expected (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Dal Lake freezes in sub-zero Kashmir - Jan 12, 2012
- Freak summer worries Kashmir farmers, fruit growers - Jun 09, 2012
- Leh freezes at minus 18 - season's lowest - Dec 23, 2011
- Srinagar has coldest night in 16 years - Jan 14, 2012
- Snowfall in hills sends chilly winds into Valley - Oct 23, 2011
- Srinagar's night temperature rises above freezing point - Feb 03, 2012
- Temperatures dip to lowest in Kashmir, Ladakh - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: degress, freezing point, fresh snow, gulmarg, india pakistan, kalan, kargil, kashmir valley, mediterranean sea, meteorological office, minimum temperature, night temperatures, pahalgam, panchal, rabi crop, rain and snow, snowfall, sonam, srinagar, sudden rain