Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villagesSeptember 23rd, 2011 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 23 (IANS) At least 900 villages in seven of Orissa’s 30 districts have been marooned by a fresh round of floods caused by heavy rains over the past three days, an official said Friday. One person has been killed.
The rains, triggered by a depression over the Bay of Bengal, have so far hit half a million people in Jajpur, Bhadrak, Kendrapada, Keonjhar and Mayurbhanj districts, the official of the state flood control room told IANS.
While the latest floods in Brahmani and Baitarani rivers have hit Jajpur, Bhadrak, Kendrapada, and Keonjhar, the district of Mayurbhanj has been affected severely due to high flood in the Budhabalanga river.
The state government has decided to resume airdropping of food and essential goods in the affected areas from Saturday, he said.
Floods triggered by heavy rains and release of huge quantities of water from Hirakud dam had earlier this month killed about 42 people and hit about four million in Orissa’s 19 districts, including in the regions affected by the fresh floods.
At least one person has been reported dead in the flood water in Kendrapada district Friday, the official said.
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Governor asks Orissa to probe dam 'mismanagement' - Oct 05, 2011
- Orissa flood situation continues to be grim - Sep 27, 2011
- Flood-hit Orissa gets two more choppers - Sep 26, 2011
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Orissa floods: Six die, toll rises to 32 - Sep 16, 2011
- Relief teams deployed in flood-hit Orissa - Sep 24, 2011
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- Four more die in Orissa floods, toll at 26 - Sep 15, 2011
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
- Heavy rain triggers floods in Orissa - Oct 03, 2009
- Relief work continues in flood-hit Orissa - Sep 25, 2011
- Dalai Lama gives Rs.10 lakh for flood-hit Orissa - Sep 30, 2011
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,