Forests remove 2.4 bn tonnes of carbon from airAugust 11th, 2011 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Aug 11 (IANS) Forests worldwide absorb as much as 2.4 billion tonnes of carbon per year from the air, equivalent to a third of the annual fossil fuel emissions.
The volume of the greenhouse gas mopped up by all categories of forests has been quantified for the first time by scientists.
“What this research tells us is that forests play a much larger role as carbon sinks as a result of tree growth and forest expansion,” says Pep Canadel from the Commonwealth Scientific Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) who co-authored the study.
Conversely, deforestation is known to emit 2.9 billion tonnes of carbon per year, which had not been known in the past because of lack of data, adds Canadel, also executive director of Global Carbon Project, reports the journal Science.
He said the research team combined data from forest inventories, models and satellites to construct a profile of forests as major regulators of atmospheric CO2.
Total emissions from fossil fuels are currently above eight billion tonnes of carbon per year, according to a CSIRO statement.
Canadel said emissions from deforestation are much larger than previously thought, suggesting that the potential benefits of avoiding deforestation are much larger than previously appreciated.
- Global carbon emissions up 50 percent - Dec 05, 2011
- Forests can store more carbon emissions than earlier thought - Jul 15, 2011
- CO2 emissions caused by humans rise 2 percent despite global financial crisis - Nov 19, 2009
- Destroyed coastal habitats may release tonnes of carbon - Sep 07, 2012
- Human generated CO2 emissions register a four-fold increase since 2000 - Oct 03, 2008
- UN climate summit starts with little hope (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Global CO2 emissions continue to soar - Jul 20, 2012
- Global CO2 emissions may reach 'record levels in 2010' - Nov 22, 2010
- Abrupt thaw in permafrost heightens climatic threat - Dec 04, 2011
- Amazon droughts alarm scientists - Feb 04, 2011
- Oceans absorbing half of greenhouse emission - Aug 02, 2012
- Four-fold growth in carbon emissions reported - Sep 29, 2008
- Earth can recover faster from CO2 emissions - Apr 22, 2011
- 'Southern ocean re-routes 40 percent of carbon emissions' - Jul 31, 2012
- Biofuels will worsen CO2 emissions: Study - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,