Forest guards, cops foil poaching attempt in AssamJune 1st, 2012 - 6:22 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 1 (IANS) A joint team of police and forest guards late Thursday night foiled an attempt by poachers to kill one-horned rhinos in Assam’s Pabitora wildlife sanctuary, forest officials said.
Three poachers, including two from neighbouring Nagaland and a local youth, were apprehended in the operation, which continued till Friday morning.
One 303 rifle and ten live bullets were recovered from their possession, the officials said.
According to the rhino census conducted in April this year, there are 93 rhinos in the Pabitora wildlife sanctuary in Morigaon district of Assam - located about 30 km from Assam’s main city Guwahati.
“We received information last evening (Thursday evening) that a poachers’ gang would enter the wildlife sanctuary for poaching rhino,” said Divisional Forest Officer (DFO) of the wildlife sanctuary Mukul Tamuli adding that all the three poachers were apprehended in association with the local police.
- One-horned rhino killed in Assam - May 23, 2012
- Assam's one-horned rhino population rises by 250 - Apr 09, 2012
- Rhinos number in Assam's Orang, Pabitora up - Mar 20, 2012
- Rhino census to be held in Assam from March 15 - Feb 28, 2012
- Assam floods: Park rangers work non-stop to safeguard wildlife - Jun 29, 2012
- One-horned rhino killed in Kaziranga park - Oct 28, 2010
- Domesticated cattle grazing in sanctuary pose threat to rhinos in Assam - Jan 02, 2011
- Four Kaziranga rhinos to be released in Manas - Feb 19, 2012
- Alert officials foil rhino poaching in Assam - Jan 23, 2012
- Commandos trained by NSG to combat poachers - Jun 25, 2010
- Two poachers shot dead in Kaziranga - Dec 13, 2010
- Now dogs to the rescue of Kaziranga rhinos - Jan 22, 2012
- Assam wildlife group protests removal of rhino's horn - Mar 25, 2012
- Rhino poached in Kaziranga National Park - Apr 12, 2012
- Two poachers killed in Kaziranga, rhino found dead (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: assam, bullets, census, cops, dfo, forest guards, forest officer, forest officials, friday morning, guwahati, mukul, nagaland, poachers, possession, rhino, rhinos, thursday night, wildlife sanctuary