‘Follow law when using wildlife species for academics’October 20th, 2010 - 5:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) Acting on complaints from various organisations, the environment ministry Wednesday directed all scientific and academic institutions to strictly adhere to the provisions of law while using wildlife for educational purposes.
“The ministry has received several complaints requesting for prohibiting use of species listed in the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972, in scientific and academic institutions,” said Inspector General of Forests (Wildlife) and Director of Wildlife Preservation A.K. Srivastava.
The Wildlife (Protection) Act, I972, prohibits collection of species from the wild as listed in the act. However, as per direction 12 of the act, collection of species can be permitted for undertaking scientific research with prior approval of a competent authority.
“It is, therefore, requested that strict adherence to the provisions of the act may be ensured in all cases and all educational institutions should follow these instructions,” Srivastava said.
- Central government schools to become tobacco free - Feb 28, 2012
- Highly endangered cat species spotted in Corbett - Aug 12, 2011
- Greens hop along to catch Goa's frog poachers - Jun 10, 2011
- Three held with peacock carcasses - May 10, 2011
- Consider making police stations tobacco-free: Delhi High Court - Jun 12, 2012
- Green panels protest construction in Greater Noida wetlands - Nov 15, 2011
- Misleading ads: Agency might monitor and act - Oct 16, 2011
- Pakistan doesn't have a single lion, tiger, rhino - Nov 07, 2010
- Mongoose hair brushes seized in Agra - May 01, 2012
- Government hopeful of passing important education bills - Apr 22, 2012
- Two leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 16, 2010
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- Remove Bhopal toxic waste in six months, orders SC - Aug 09, 2012
- Jairam Ramesh gives a call for public awareness on owls in country - Nov 02, 2010
- Endangered Garuda takes wing in Bihar - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,