Fog returns in Chandigarh, mercury below normalJanuary 12th, 2011 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 12 (IANS) After a day of bright sunshine, Chandigarh and its surrounding areas were again surrounded by thick fog Wednesday morning that disrupted road traffic.Freezing cold and harsh weather conditions continued to make things difficult for residents with a minimum temperature of 3.7 degrees Celsius. The mercury remained below normal in almost all parts of Punjab and Haryana Wednesday.
Punjab’s Amritsar town was the coldest in the region Wednesday. It recorded a minimum temperature of 1.6 degrees Celsius that was three notches below normal. It was followed by Ludhiana city, which shivered at 1.9 degrees, again three degrees below average.
Patiala city recorded a low of 3.3 degrees Wednesday.
“A dense cover of fog had enveloped most parts of Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh this morning. Visibility was reduced to zero at various places, disrupting road traffic,” said a Met official here Wednesday.
“Mercury also remained below normal at all places in this region. Similar conditions will prevail for the next one or two days,” he added.
Dense fog in the region is also expected to disrupt air traffic Wednesday. The Chandigarh airport was opened Tuesday, after a closure of six days from Jan 5-10 due to dense fog, and a couple of flights resumed operations.
“Right now we cannot comment anything about the cancellation of flights. We are waiting for weather to become clear,” said an official of Chandigarh airport here Wednesday.
In Haryana, Hisar town was the coldest at a low of 2.8 degrees Celsius. Ambala, Karnal and Narnaul settled at minimum temperatures of 4.4, 3 and 3 degrees respectively.
- Dense fog engulfs Punjab, Haryana - Jan 10, 2011
- Thick fog engulfs Punjab, Haryana - Jan 20, 2012
- Sun shines over Chandigarh, flights may resume - Jan 07, 2011
- Air, rail, road traffic hit in Punjab, Haryana - Jan 06, 2011
- Dense fog shuts Chandigarh airport for fifth day - Jan 09, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana fogged out - Jan 05, 2011
- Chandigarh welcomes bright sun, chill remains - Jan 11, 2011
- Panjab, Haryana face fog chaos - Dec 27, 2010
- Fog, overcast skies in Punjab, Haryana - Dec 28, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana fogged out, no flights from Chandigarh (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Fog hits air traffic in Chandigarh - Jan 08, 2011
- 11 deaths in UP, Jharkhand toll 45 as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- North India reels under severe cold, dense fog (Roundup) - Jan 20, 2012
- 12 die in UP, Bhopal sees frost as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Winter onslaught continues, 11 deaths in UP, Jharkhand toll 45 (Intro Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: air traffic, amritsar, bright sunshine, cancellation, dense fog, harsh weather conditions, haryana, karnal, mercury, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, narnaul, patiala, punjab, road traffic, six days, thick fog, three degrees, three notches, wednesday morning