Fog, overcast skies in Punjab, HaryanaDecember 28th, 2010 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 28 (IANS) Dense fog and overcast skies prevailed in most parts of Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh Tuesday, disrupting rail, road and air traffic in the region. Besides, cold winds swept through this part of northern India, keeping the mercury below its normal level.
Met officials predicted chilly weather and thick fog in the mornings and evenings would continue for the next three to four days.
Amritsar city, in Punjab, recorded a minimum temperature of 1.8 degrees Celsius - the lowest temperature this season.
Ludhiana recorded a minimum temperature of 1.5 degrees Celsius, which was five degrees below average, while Patiala registered a low of 4.5 degrees Celsius, a notch below average.
Chandigarh shivered at 4 degrees Celsius, three degrees below average.
In Haryana, Ambala city recorded a low of 3.9 degrees Celsius, three degrees below average, while Hisar and Karnal cities recorded minimum temperatures of 4 and 5.4 degrees Celsius, respectively.
“Due to fog, there was almost zero visibility level in various cities of Punjab and Haryana, including Amritsar, Ludhiana, Patiala, Jalandhar, Hisar, Karnal, Rohtak and Bhiwani. Road traffic was badly affected and many trains are running behind schedule,” an official said.
Air traffic was also badly disrupted.
“Only six flights, out of 11, operated today (Tuesday). However, it was better than yesterday’s (Monday) four flights,” Chandigarh airport director H.S. Toor told IANS.
- Air, rail, road traffic hit in Punjab, Haryana - Jan 06, 2011
- Fog returns in Chandigarh, mercury below normal - Jan 12, 2011
- Sun shines over Chandigarh, flights may resume - Jan 07, 2011
- Fog again hits Punjab, Haryana - Jan 02, 2011
- Amritsar coldest at 2.5 degrees, cold wave sweeps Punjab - Dec 25, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana fogged out, no flights from Chandigarh (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Dense fog engulfs Punjab, Haryana - Jan 10, 2011
- Panjab, Haryana face fog chaos - Dec 27, 2010
- Thick fog engulfs Punjab, Haryana - Jan 20, 2012
- Cold wave continues unabated in northern plains - Dec 27, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana fogged out - Jan 05, 2011
- Dense fog in Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh - Dec 29, 2010
- Dense fog in Punjab, Haryana - Jan 03, 2012
- Amritsar shivers at minus 2.1 degrees - Dec 30, 2011
- Bright sunshine in Chandigarh, but mercury dips - Jan 16, 2011
Tags: air traffic, airport director, ambala city, better than yesterday, chilly weather, cold winds, dense fog, five degrees, haryana, hisar, karnal, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, northern india, overcast skies, road traffic, rohtak, thick fog, three degrees, toor