Floods force 110,000 people out of China province

June 4th, 2008 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS  

Xinhua
Guiyang (China), June 4 (Xinhua) Heavy rains that swept China’s southwestern province of Guizhou for a month have forced the evacuation of some 113,000 people, the flood control office said Wednesday. Between May 1 and May 31, a total of 365 towns in 40 counties were hit by torrential rain, leaving at least 39 people dead, 12 missing and 1.44 million affected, an official said.

A high emergency response plan has been launched to tackle flooding problems, he said.

In the worst-hit Wangmo county, 13 people were killed in a flash flood that followed 92 mm of rain in three hours, officials said.

Villagers from the mountainous county had been moved to safety in lowland areas.
Xinhua

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Environment |

Subscribe