Flood threat again looms over HaryanaSeptember 20th, 2010 - 1:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 20 (IANS) The Yamuna continued to flow alarmingly high in Haryana Monday, posing a threat of heavy flooding in villages along the river, officials said. Fresh alerts have been issued in major districts like Karnal, Panipat and Faridabad.
According to government officials, nearly 700,000 cusecs of water was discharged into the Yamuna from the Hathnikund barrage Sunday. It was the maximum release of water into the river this season.
Incessant rainfall in the upper reaches of Shivalik hills and in Uttarakhand has led to heavy inflows. Officials said flood water has also entered into the territory of a few villages in Karnal and Yamunanagar districts and rescue work was on.
The Haryana government has issued fresh flood alerts in Karnal, Panipat, Sonepat, Faridabad and Palwal districts and their deputy commissioners have been alerted to take preventive measures.
“We have told the residents of low lying areas to leave for safer locations. We will make sure that all necessary assistance will be provided to them. We are closely monitoring the situation. Several acres of agricultural land are facing the threat of heavy floods,” Ashok Sanghwan, deputy commissioner of Yamunanagar, told IANS Monday.
“Besides, over 25 villages, including Kalesar, Baburambass, Mamdubas, Tappukamalpur, Punehri, Baghwali, Jathlana and Sandhala-Sandhali villages, are on the verge of flooding.”
In Karnal district, flood threat was looming over Chougam, Hansu Majra, Garhi Birbal, Garhpur Tapu, Palsora, Halwana, Nabiyabad, Japti Chhapra, Sayed Chhapra, Nagli and Dera Sikkligarh villages.
The Haryana government has also alerted the Delhi flood authorities about the increased discharge in the river and told the army to remain on standby.
Over 30 people were killed in floods in Haryana in July.
Heavy flow of water has also damaged the Tajewala headworks point in Yamunanagar district. A portion of it was swept away with the heavy currents.
- Yamuna in spate, flood threat looms over Haryana - Sep 19, 2010
- Yamuna sees maximum discharge in 32 years (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Yamuna in spate, flood threat looms over Haryana, Delhi (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Flood waters start receding in Haryana areas - Sep 21, 2010
- Two highways, villages flooded in Haryana (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Heavy rain continues to lash parts of Haryana - Aug 22, 2010
- Yamuna flood waters receding in Haryana - Sep 24, 2010
- Yamuna flowing at alarming level in Haryana, two killed - Sep 11, 2010
- Flood situation 'under control' in Haryana - Sep 22, 2010
- Yamuna level recedes in Haryana but rains expected - Sep 12, 2010
- Villages inundated in Haryana as Yamuna overflows banks (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana on alert as flood threat looms (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Bhakra water level rises, flood threatens Punjab, Haryana - Aug 24, 2010
- Haryana has no role in Yamuna's rising: officials - Aug 22, 2010
- Flood threat looms over Punjab, Haryana towns - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: agricultural land, ashok, barrage, chandigarh, cusecs, deputy commissioner, deputy commissioners, faridabad, flood threat, flood water, haryana government, heavy flow, maximum release, necessary assistance, palwal, panipat, preventive measures, shivalik hills, upper reaches, yamuna