Five of family trampled by wild elephants in AssamApril 24th, 2009 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 24 (IANS) Five members of a family were trampled to death Friday by wild Asiatic elephants that went on a rampage in a village in India’s northeastern state of Assam, officials said.
A wildlife official said two elephants strayed into Bangsali village in Dhubri district, about 320 km west of Assam’s main city of Guwahati Thursday midnight.
“The elephants first tore apart a mud-and-thatch hut and killed a woman and her two little children,” Syed Isfaqur Rahman, a magistrate in the area, told IANS by telephone.
“Two more people injured in the attack in an adjacent house belonging to the same family also succumbed at a hospital Friday morning.”
The rampaging elephants also damaged nearby paddy fields in the area.
Experts said wild elephants have been moving out of the jungles in search of food because people have been encroaching on animal corridors.
According to a wildlife department report, elephants have killed 277 people in Assam in the past five years while 269 elephants have died during the same period, many of them victims of retaliation by angry people. Villagers often poison marauding elephants.
Assam has India’s largest population of elephants, estimated to be around 5,300 by a 2002 wildlife census.
- Wildlife guard killed by elephant - Jan 11, 2012
- Wild elephants trample man to death in Meghalaya - Apr 16, 2011
- Outrage over baby elephant's killing in Assam - Oct 27, 2010
- Assam villagers poisoning elephants to prevent attacks - Oct 14, 2010
- Man-animal conflict: Villagers poison elephants in Assam - Oct 25, 2009
- Elephant electrocuted in Meghalaya - May 27, 2011
- Wild tuskers rampage through Chhattisgarh villages, cause panic - Jun 27, 2012
- Toll reaches 13 as elephants continue Nepal ravage - Dec 18, 2009
- Elephant depredations may force shutdown of Assam tea plantations - Nov 25, 2009
- Speeding train runs over four elephants (Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Four wild elephants mowed down by train - Jan 02, 2010
- Assam orders probe into killing of elephant calf - Oct 28, 2010
- Mysore's rogue tuskers whisked away to Bandipur forest - Jun 09, 2011
- Elephant kills five in Jharkhand - Dec 29, 2010
- Three people killed by elephants in Assam - Jan 16, 2009
Tags: april 24, asiatic elephants, corridors, friday morning, guwahati, jungles, largest population, magistrate, mud, northeastern state, paddy fields, rampage, rampaging elephants, retaliation, state of assam, thatch hut, wild elephants, wildlife census, wildlife department, wildlife official