Five evacuation teams deployed in AndhraNovember 6th, 2010 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 6 (IANS) As cyclone ‘Jal’ neared Andhra Pradesh’s coastline, five evacuation teams were deployed in the state as a safety measure, a National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) official said Saturday.
“Five teams of 45-50 rescue operators each reached the low-lying districts of Andhra Pradesh Saturday morning. They have started the evacuation process there,” an NDMA official told IANS.
According to the official, cyclone ‘Jal’ is expected to hit southeast Chennai and Nellore, Thiruvallur, Puducherry and Kancheepuram.
“The local authorities have been evacuating people from the low-lying villages of these south coastal districts,” the official added.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) Saturday issued cyclone warning in north Tamil Nadu and south Andhra Pradesh. ‘Jal’ lay centred over southwest Bay of Bengal, some 650 km from Chennai and 750 km southeast of Nellore, Saturday evening.
“Gale winds of 60-70 kmph gusting to 80 kmph would prevail along and off north Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south Andhra Pradesh coast from Saturday evening. It may increase up to 120-130 kmph, gusting to 140 kmph at the time of landfall,” the IMD forecast said.
Fishermen were also advised not to venture into the sea.
Heavy rains over the last one week under the impact of low pressure and vigorous northeast monsoon in the state have claimed 37 lives in coastal Andhra Pradesh and damaged crops in nearly 300,000 hectares of land, according to officials.
- Alert in Andhra as cyclone threatens coast - Nov 06, 2010
- Cyclone Thane kills five in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Tamil Nadu braces for cyclone Jal - Nov 07, 2010
- Cyclone Thane makes landfall in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Heavy rain, gale in south coastal Andhra - Dec 30, 2011
- Relief for coastal Andhra as cyclone threat dissipates - Nov 08, 2010
- Tamil Nadu gears up for cyclone Thane (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclone Thane to cross near Cuddalore, Puducherry - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Andhra escapes cyclone fury (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry; spares Andhra (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: bay of bengal, coastal districts, disaster management, gale winds, heavy rains, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, kancheepuram, landfall, local authorities, management authority, national disaster, ndma, nellore, northeast monsoon, puducherry, safety measure, saturday evening, southwest bay, tamil nadu