Five deer found dead in Chhattisgarh zooMay 13th, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 13 (IANS) Five deer have been found dead in Maitri Bagh zoo of Chhattisgarh, an official said Wednesday.
Maitri Bagh zoo, about 30 km west of state capital Raipur, is managed by Bhilai Steel Plant of public sector firm Steel Authority of India (SAIL).
“Three sambars have been killed since May 9 when about 90 sambars clashed inside their enclosure. There are strong chances of some more sambars succumbing to their injuries in the next few days. Several sambars sustained internal injury due to their pointed horns,” Bhilai Steel Plant’s Horticulture Department Assistant General Manager T.S. Chhatri told IANS.
Sambar is the common name for Cervus unicolor, a dark brown and maned deer, in which the males have sharp horns.
He said two spotted deer were also found dead in their enclosure as they failed to sustain the present spell of scorching heat.
The zoo authorities came under serious criticism after a rare 11-year-old white tigress was found dead in her enclosure May 9. The authorities said the tigress died of snake bite.
- Two sambars, one deer found dead in Chhattisgarh zoo - Mar 05, 2010
- White tigress found dead in Chhattisgarh zoo - May 09, 2009
- Four tiger cubs born in Chhattisgarh zoo - Jun 22, 2011
- No romance for Delhi zoo's bears, deer this winter - Nov 20, 2011
- Rajkot Zoo sets up top-open enclosures for leopards - May 29, 2010
- Rush to see Brazilian monkeys at Chhattisgarh zoo - Aug 31, 2009
- Rising deer population a headache for Delhi Zoo - Dec 30, 2010
- Nine held for poaching - Jun 25, 2010
- Two teenagers held for killing spotted deer - Jun 24, 2008
- Five Blackbucks found dead at Rajkot zoo - Feb 01, 2010
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011
- Fire breaks out at SAIL Chhattisgarh unit, production affected (Lead) - Feb 01, 2010
- Fire breaks out at SAIL Chhattisgarh unit - Feb 01, 2010
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- SAIL's Bhilai unit bags PM's trophy for 10th time - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: authorities, bagh, cervus unicolor, few days, horticulture department, India, maitri, pointed horns, public sector, sambar, snake bite, spotted deer, steel authority, steel plant, white tigress, zoo