Fashion show organiser arrested for using snakes on rampJuly 29th, 2008 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, July 29 (IANS) Shabir Hussain, organiser of a fashion show in which models walked the ramp after wrapping snakes around their neck, has been sent by a court Tuesday to 14 days judicial custody, the police said Tuesday. Models walked the ramp Saturday at the Rotary Club in Ranchi, displaying cobras and other snakes in their hand with its body wrapped around their neck. About 6-7 snakes were used in the fashion show organised by an institute, Centre for Education.
Animals lover raised a hue and cry over the issue. They said that the display of cobra is banned under the Wildlife Protection Act 1972.
Shabir Hussain, organizer of the show, Sunday told reporters: “The idea of displaying snakes on ramp was imitated from Bollywood.”
Justifying the display, he said: “No untoward incident took place.”
He was arrested Monday night and produced at a Ranchi court Tuesday. He was sent to 14 days judicial custody, the police said.
The snakes were bought to the Rotary Club by snake charmers. Each snake charmer was given Rs.1,100 for the show. The snake charmers were called from Ranchi’s Pahari temple, where Lord Shiva is worshipped.
The snake charmers Tuesday lodged their complaint in Ranchi’s civil court, saying their snakes were misused.
“We were called to display the snakes. The snakes were, however, used by the models on the ramp. We were called with wrong information,” claimed a snake charmer.
- Aspiring designers impresses at international fashion fest - Mar 22, 2012
- Kavita Bhartia pays tribute to Indian weavers - Oct 09, 2011
- Save snakes from atrocities on Nag Panchami: PETA - Aug 02, 2011
- Kangana Ranaut Walks The Ramp At The 'Be Yu' Fashion Awards 2010 - Nov 26, 2010
- Two days' judicial custody for Delhi blast suspect - Oct 05, 2011
- Wildlife officials operate on 11ft King cobra in Bhopal - Feb 23, 2010
- Worshippers cry foul as Madhya Pradesh 'de-fangs' Nagpanchmi - Jul 26, 2009
- If Deepika Padukone has a Christian wedding - Oct 11, 2011
- Thorpe Bay Yacht Club Evacuated Over Fake Snake - Oct 21, 2010
- Police search Kanda's farmhouse for evidence - Aug 20, 2012
- Pallavi Jaikishan goes traditional at LFW - Aug 04, 2012
- Designers, not celebrities in focus at LFW (Rerview) - Mar 07, 2012
- Beyonce Knowles Walks The Ramp In Tom Ford's Show, Photos On Web - Dec 05, 2010
- Standing ovation for Kallol, Pankaj and Nidhi at LFW finale - Aug 08, 2012
- Indian, Sri Lankan models walk the ramp in Kochi's fashion show - Dec 06, 2010
Tags: animals lover, bollywood, civil court, cobra, cobras, education, fashion show, hue and cry, judicial custody, lord shiva, models, monday night, ramp, rotary club, snake charmer, snake charmers, snakes, untoward incident, wildlife protection act, worshipped