Evidence of tiger presence in Goa: OfficialOctober 2nd, 2010 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 2 (IANS) There is good news on the tiger conservation front. A top forest department official has confirmed the presence of tigers in the forests of Goa.
Additional principal chief conservator of forests Shashi Kumar said the department had indirect evidence of tiger presence in the four wildlife sanctuaries which ring the hinterland of the state.
“There is a possibility of tiger presence in the state’s forest. There is evidence of its presence which will be confirmed through camera trapping method,” Kumar told reporters after a wildlife-related function here Saturday.
Kumar said the indirect evidence was collected during the course of the wildlife census which was conducted in the state’s forests which are contiguous to Maharashtra and Karnataka. The census was carried out with the assistance of the Wildlife Institute of India (WII), a central government institute based in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
Members of the Western ghat conservation panel have already suggested that the forests of Goa should be notified as a tiger reserve, a move which has been resisted by the state forest department in the past.
A tiger had also been poached in the Mhadei wildlife sanctuary, about 60 km from here, last year which had resulted in the arrest of three people.
- Goa may add to India's tiger numbers - Apr 17, 2011
- Tigers in Goa? Forest minister dodges queries - Aug 08, 2011
- Goa urged to set up tiger reserve - Jul 23, 2011
- Goa activists happy with Jairam's tiger reserve initiative - Jun 29, 2011
- Activists roar for tiger reserve as Goa drags feet - Jul 11, 2011
- Goa forest department drags feet in tiger poaching case - Feb 08, 2010
- Goa forest official flip flops on tiger poaching - Sep 17, 2009
- Campaign in Goa: buy a cow, save the tiger - Oct 08, 2010
- Chandigarh to conduct its first-ever wildlife census - Dec 08, 2010
- Indians have harmed tigers more than the colonialists: Goa governor - Nov 13, 2010
- Goa to step up forest patrol with GPS - Feb 25, 2011
- Wildlife activists cry foul over Goa report on tiger poaching - Sep 13, 2009
- Tiger, tiger burning bright in Goa's forests - Feb 06, 2011
- Is Sukhna sanctuary in Chandigarh home to leopards? - Dec 21, 2010
- Goa wildlife census shows tiger presence - May 13, 2010
Tags: central government, chief conservator, conservation front, forests, goa, government institute, hinterland, indirect evidence, presence, shashi, state forest department, tiger, tiger conservation, tiger reserve, tigers, western ghat, wii, wildlife census, wildlife sanctuaries, wildlife sanctuary