Escaped crocodile attacks toddler in VietnamMarch 23rd, 2009 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Hanoi, March 23 (DPA) A mother narrowly rescued her one-year-old son from an attack by a crocodile that had escaped from a nearby farm, a police officer in Vietnam’s Mekong delta said Monday.
The woman was holding her son over a canal to relieve himself Sunday when the 100-kg crocodile leapt out of the water and snapped at the child’s foot.
The mother managed to pull her son back and outrun the crocodile that pursued her onto land, said Nguyen Minh Quang, police chief of An Binh Ward in the province of Can Tho. Four local men subdued the crocodile with ropes and sticks.
The child was not injured.
“It is mating season, so the crocodile was more aggressive than usual,” Quang said.
The animal had broken through the fence of a crocodile farm only 70 metres away. The Tien Phong newspaper reported that the farm owner paid the locals who captured the crocodile 3 million dong ($170) for its return.
Quang said the owner had a licence to raise the crocodiles and could not be punished, but that police had warned him to strengthen his fences. The farm currently has 11 crocodiles, including eight large adults.
Last September, farmers in the southern province of Dong Nai caught 14 crocodiles that escaped from crocodile farms during floods.
In September 2007, hundreds of crocodiles were on the loose in the central Vietnamese province of Thanh Hoa after floodwaters broke their cages on a breeding farm. Several crocodiles which attacked people were shot dead by authorities.
- Vietnam forest wardens rescue 3,500 crocodiles - Jun 10, 2010
- Archaeologists unearth 127-km long 'Great Wall' of Vietnam - Jan 27, 2011
- Vietnamese man opens plane's emergency exit on runway - Nov 07, 2011
- Tiger kills gardener at Vietnam zoo - Sep 11, 2009
- 27 killed as storm Kai-Tak lashes Vietnam (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- 100 crocodiles escape from flood-hit Thailand farm - Oct 11, 2011
- 16 dead, 38 injured in Vietnam floods - Sep 10, 2012
- Woman 'commits suicide' by jumping into crocodile pit - Sep 06, 2012
- Chinese man raises 6,000 crocodiles - Jul 10, 2012
- Vietnam storm toll rises to 109 - Nov 06, 2009
- Vietnamese man sleeps beside wife's bones for five years - Dec 01, 2009
- 48 dead in Vietnam flood - Oct 08, 2010
- With China on mind, Krishna heads to Vietnam - Sep 13, 2011
- Drunken Aussie tries to ride monster croc - Jul 13, 2010
- Javan rhino is extinct in Vietnam - Oct 25, 2011
Tags: breeding farm, can tho, crocodile, crocodile attacks, crocodile farm, crocodile farms, crocodiles, dong nai, floodwaters, last september, mating season, mekong delta, minh quang, nearby farm, nguyen minh, police chief, southern province, thanh hoa, tien phong newspaper, vietnam hanoi