Erosion threatens Goa’s beaches, says ministerAugust 1st, 2012 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 1 (IANS) Erosion threatens one-fourth of Goa’s sandy beach stretches along the 105-km coastline, a minister told the state assembly Wednesday.
In a written reply to the legislative assembly, Water Resources Minister Dayanand Mandrekar said the Bardez sub-district, which has popular beaches such as Baga, Calangute, Candolim, Sinquerim and Anjuna, was under severe threat, with a 7.75-km stretch being eaten away by erosion.
All of the beaches are a short distance from state capital Panaji.
Mandrekar said the grounding of a cargo vessel at Candolim beach in 2000 was one of the major reasons why erosion had hit Bardez.
“The grounding of the ship, River Princess, at an angle to the shoreline was the main cause of soil erosion along the Candolim and Sinquerim coastline,” Mandrekar said in reply to a question by Congress legislator Reginaldo Lourenco.
Other affected coastal sub-districts are Pernem, home to Arambol and Morjim, and Salcete with its Benaulim and Colva beaches.
According to the Water Resource Department, 25.02 km of the beach area has been severely affected by erosion, which is almost one-fourth of the state’s 105-km coastline.
- Goa to spend Rs.36 crore to battle sea erosion - Jul 25, 2012
- Severe sea erosion killing Goa beaches - Mar 16, 2011
- Facelift of two popular Goa beaches to cost Rs.10 crore - Mar 22, 2012
- 15 km of Goa beaches threatened by erosion: survey - Mar 24, 2010
- Lara-Mahesh wedding: Time to highlight Goa's disappeared beach - Feb 18, 2011
- Baywatch in Goa? Little hope for now - Apr 25, 2012
- Goa government cozying up to 5-star hotel lobby: Shack operators - Sep 17, 2012
- 'Deport foreigners tending Goa bars sans work visas' - Jul 25, 2012
- Russians, Israelis have 'occupied' Goa's coastal villages: Congress - Feb 21, 2012
- Here comes Sri Sri to Goa - Sep 20, 2011
- Man twice attempts suicide in Goa, arrested - Jul 19, 2012
- Menus, signages in Russian could be removed in Goa - Jul 23, 2012
- Global warming eroding Goa beaches: Governor - Nov 23, 2009
- Court asks Goa to remove beached vessel by next monsoon - Sep 08, 2010
- Ban rave parties, says Goa woman legislator - Jul 22, 2010
Tags: anjuna, beaches, calangute, cargo vessel, cause of soil erosion, coastline, congress, goa, legislative assembly, legislator, panaji, princess, reply, resource department, sandy beach, shoreline, state assembly, water resource, water resources