Eight held with snake venom in GoaJuly 31st, 2012 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 31 (IANS) Eight people have been arrested in Goa for illegally possessing snake venom worth Rs.1.5 crore, police said Tuesday.
Police said the eight, who were arrested on a tip-off, were carrying nearly one litre of snake venom, which was extracted illegally, in contravention of the Wildlife (Protection) Act.
“Eight people have been arrested. Nearly all of them were unemployed and used to run this snake venom trade racket regularly by trapping snakes in the forests and extracting the venom,” a police spokesperson said.
The arrested persons were being interrogated to ascertain the source of the venom and where it was being marketed, the spokesperson added.
The accused have been booked under various sections of the Wildlife (Protection) Act.
- V-Day venom: Youngsters flirt with cobra drug (With Images) - Feb 15, 2012
- Three poachers arrested with chinkara parts - Jan 28, 2012
- Two arrested while trying to sell snake venom - Aug 09, 2010
- Three rare snakes rescued, three held - Nov 09, 2011
- Save snakes from atrocities on Nag Panchami: PETA - Aug 02, 2011
- Nearly 1500 turles seized in Bihar - Feb 14, 2011
- One held with spotted deer skins in Bengal - Mar 08, 2011
- Delhi man nabbed with snake venom - Oct 20, 2011
- 39 panther skins seized in Haryana - May 25, 2010
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- 31 people held for gambling in Delhi - Jul 12, 2011
- Two poachers held with over 40 tortoises - Jan 10, 2011
- Two held with leopard skin in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 17, 2011
- Police bust sex racket in Punjab, 10 held - Aug 05, 2010
- Goa forest department under PAC scanner - Oct 06, 2011