Eco-friendly tires that save fuelMarch 4th, 2012 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 4 (IANS) Environmentally conscious car owners will now have a new choice when it comes to their four wheels: eco-friendly tires.
Concern over greenhouse gas emissions and global warming prompted calls on major industries to lessen their carbon footprint and produce products that are not harmful.
Meanwhile, a tightening of legislation restricting the amount of greenhouse gas emissions from trucks and cars led car manufacturers to develop new tires that help decrease carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, the Fox News reported Saturday.
One-fifth of the Europe’s total CO2 emissions come from road transportation, according to the European Environment Agency. Consequently, the European Union has introduced numerous CO2 restrictions.
These constraints compelled tire manufacturers to produce eco-friendly, fuel efficient tires.
Most of these tires reduce their carbon footprint by making lighter contact with the road, reducing the amount of resistance and therefore necessitating less gasoline to push the vehicle forward.
However, with less resistance can come less brake efficiency. In dire situations, the eco-friendly tires may role on for a longer time after the brake pedal is pushed than traditional tires, the report said.
In 2007, Continental, a major tire manufacturer, stood against legislation to reduce CO2 emissions through green tires, citing concerns over a decline in brake efficiency.
Looking to make green tires that were fully safe, Continental produced one of the best tires on the market for reducing impact on the environment.
Continental ProContact reduces fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. This green tire was created for sedans, minivans, coupes and crossover vehicles.
The company placed their two main tire concerns right in the name of the product: ProContact with Ecoplus Technology.
Continental ProContact is just one of the many eco-friendly tires that saves gas and provides good traction. The fuel-efficient Bridgestone Ecopia EP-02 tire was designed specifically for electric powered cars.
- Eco-friendly tyres that save fuel (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Hyderabad airport gets greenhouse certification - Apr 02, 2012
- Tata Power's 800 MW thermal plant operational in Gujarat - Jul 19, 2012
- Eating wisely can lower carbon footprint: Study (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Durban climate talks: What it means for India? - Dec 15, 2011
- Eating wisely can lower carbon footprint: Study - May 14, 2012
- Coming soon, 'blue rating' water standards for industry - May 20, 2012
- Dubai Airports reduce 72,000 tonnes CO2 emissions - Mar 28, 2012
- Biofuels will worsen CO2 emissions: Study - Oct 24, 2011
- Himachal to be carbon neutral by 2020: Dhumal - Feb 02, 2012
- Tata Motors partners Japan firm for eco-friendly fuel plant - Jun 08, 2011
- Tata funds research project on water as auto fuel - Dec 31, 2010
- Hybrid and natural gas-fuelled cars greener than those running on gasoline - Sep 15, 2010
- Destroyed coastal habitats may release tonnes of carbon - Sep 07, 2012
- Real-time 'eco-driving' can cut fuel consumption up to 6pc - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,