Eco-friendly solar-electric rickshaw launched in DelhiOctober 2nd, 2008 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 2(IANS) In an initiative to reduce pollution in the crowded streets of Delhi, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Thursday launched Soleckshaw, the solar-electric rickshaw, here.Dikshit launched the Soleckshaw at a function organised on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti at Yudhbir Singh Park near the Chandni Chowk Metro Station.
Union Minister of Science and Technology and the Earth Sciences Kapil Sibal and Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) director general Samir K. Brahmachari were also present on the occasion.
“The dual-powered Soleckshaw is the CSIR’s solution for the dual problem of decent employment generation for the masses and mitigation of global warming,” a CSIR official said.
“We have developed the technology and we are looking for manufacturing partners. A few corporates have shown interest. However, we are unable to say exactly when Soleckshaw will hit the roads,” the official added.
The Mark-I version of Soleckshaw has been designed, developed and prototyped by the CSIR’s national laboratory, the Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI), at Durgapur in a record time of eight months.
The rickshaw can seat two passengers, excluding the driver, and has the speed limit of 15 km an hour.
Brahmachari Aug 17 flagged off the prototypes of Soleckshaw at CMERI, Durgapur.
“Innovative business model is being evolved with NGOs, banks, environment-loving corporates and manufacturing organisations to make the rickshaw available to the drivers at the cost of an ordinary rickshaw,” the CSIR official added.
The advanced versions of Soleckshaw Mark-II and Mark-III with better aesthetics, ergonomics, speed and recumbent driving position are expected to be ready for launch during the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
- Sachin Pilot launches environment-friendly postal delivery vehicle 'Soleckshaw' - Jul 09, 2010
- Solar rickshaw finds no takers (With Image) - Sep 28, 2010
- Kolkata engineer designs wonder rickshaw (With Images) - Jun 15, 2012
- Trials begin of upgraded Indian main battle tank - Jun 09, 2011
- Production of upgraded indigenous tanks by 2014 - Feb 14, 2011
- Advanced version of indigenous combat jet by 2015 - Feb 09, 2011
- Kapil Sibal rides a solar rickshaw to campaign - Apr 27, 2009
- Riding to Green Games on a 'Soleckshaw'! (With Images) - Feb 09, 2010
- Indefinite auto strike in Delhi from Wednesday - May 17, 2011
- Mahindra's maiden aircraft completes successful test flight - Sep 14, 2011
- IAF upgrading airfields in northeast: Naik - Nov 03, 2010
- CSIR to build India's first innovation complex - Sep 07, 2012
- CSIR seeks industry's help for India's first innovation complex (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- India to design, develop aircraft for feeder service - May 08, 2010
- Two killed in Delhi accident - Dec 22, 2011