Earthquake jolts northeast India, BangladeshJuly 27th, 2008 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, July 27 (IANS) A moderate earthquake measuring 4.8 on the Richter scale shook India’s northeast and parts of Bangladesh early Sunday, triggering panic among residents here, officials said. An official at the regional seismological centre in Shillong, capital of Meghalaya, said the tremor took place at 12.22 a.m. and had its epicentre along Bangladesh’s Mymensingh, 115 km north of the capital city Dhaka.
The quake shook houses and other structures in Tripura, Mizoram, Meghalaya and adjoining areas of the northeast region. People ran out of their homes.
However, most people did not feel the tremor as they were asleep.
“There has been no immediate report of damage caused by the quake,” officials said.
Meanwhile, a report from across the border stated that a quake measuring 5.6 on the Richter scale struck at around 12.52 a.m. (local time) in Bangladesh.
The seven northeastern states - Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Tripura, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur, considered by seismologists as the sixth major earthquake prone belt in the world, experienced India’s worst jolts, measuring 8.7 on the Richter scale in 1897, killing 1,600 people.
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- Quake rocks northeast India - Nov 21, 2011
- Two earthquakes hit northeastern states (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Quake in northeast India, Bangladesh - Jun 23, 2011
- Low-intensity quake in northeast - Sep 07, 2012
- 5.4-magnitude quake rocks Assam, Meghalaya (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Quake jolts northeast India - Aug 19, 2012
- Earthquake in northeast - Jul 15, 2012
- Tremor jolts Northeast, fourth quake in three weeks - Sep 04, 2009
- Tremor jolts northeast, third quake in three weeks - Aug 31, 2009
- Small earthquake rocks Assam - Feb 23, 2010
- Earthquake measuring 4.9 jolts northeast India (Lead) - Aug 19, 2009
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake rocks Assam, Bhutan - Dec 31, 2009
- Quake rocks northeast, buildings damaged in Guwahati (Lead) - Dec 29, 2009
- 5.4 magnitude tremor jolts northeast, Nepal, China - Feb 26, 2010