Earthquake jolts KashmirJuly 27th, 2011 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 27 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale rocked Jammu and Kashmir Wednesday morning, an official said. No loss of life or property was reported.
“The epicentre was in the Hindukush mountain range of Afghanistan. Its coordinates were latitude 36.3 degrees north and longitude 69.6 degrees east,” an official of the weather office said.
The quake struck at 8.47 a.m.
The state is situated in a highly quake-sensitive region and tremors of heavy intensity have often wrecked havoc in the past.
In 2005, a 7.9 earthquake struck the two parts of divided Kashmir, killing over 40,000 people and leaving twice the number homeless.
- Moderate intensity tremor rocks Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Moderate intensity quake rocks Kashmir - Mar 31, 2012
- Moderate earthquake jolts Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 14, 2012
- 5.7 magnitude earthquake in Kashmir - Mar 21, 2011
- Temblor shakes Kashmir, Pakistan, Afghanistan; no loss of life (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- 5.6 magnitude quake felt in Kashmir Valley - Jul 19, 2012
- Moderate quake jolts Jammu and Kashmir - Mar 23, 2011
- Magnitude 6 quake jolts Kashmir - May 15, 2011
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Moderate quake recorded in Kashmir - Apr 01, 2011
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Moderate tremors felt in north India (Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- Moderate tremor jolts Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Low intensity quake shakes Kashmir - May 10, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, coordinates, earthquake jolts, epicentre, havoc, homeless, intensity, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, latitude, longitude, quake, richter scale, sensitive region, srinagar, tremors, weather office, wednesday morning