Earthquake in Los AngelesMay 3rd, 2009 - 3:15 am ICT by GD
An earthquake hit Los Angeles on May 1 2009. The seismic scale reading was 4.4. The tremors of the earthquake was felt by many residents of Los Angeles-valley. However Southland residents did not feel it.
The earthquake was felt just about after 6 in the evening. It had been earlier reported on LALATE. The reason that the quake could have been felt by more residents is that the nominal depth was only about 6 KM below the surface of the earth. However that did not happen, and the tremors were not really felt widely. The quake, which was centered 6 km SW of the Westlake Village, was felt locally and not widely.
The USGS data is as follows:
Magnitude 4.4 - local magnitude (ML) Time Friday, May 1, 2009 at 6:11:13 PM (PDT) Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 1:11:13 (UTC) Distance from Westlake Village, CA - 9 km (6 miles) SW (224 degrees) Thousand Oaks, CA - 12 km (7 miles) S (186 degrees) Malibu, CA - 12 km (7 miles) WNW (300 degrees) Casa Conejo, CA - 13 km (8 miles) SSE (156 degrees) Los Angeles Civic Center, CA - 59 km (37 miles) W (273 degrees) Coordinates 34 deg. 5.0 min. N (34.083N), 118 deg. 53.3 min. W (118.889W) Depth 9 km (5.6 miles)
It was surely one of the most Twittered quake till date. It wasnt felt by the people of LALATE in Santa Monica. A L.A. resident, Jonathan Knight, whose exact location is not known, twittered that he felt the quake, but only mildly:
“Relieved to find out it was an earthquake here. I thought it was the Metamucil kicking in. I knew I felt a small rumble!”
Celebrities such as Heidi Montag and Paula Abdul twittered right through the quake with no comments at all about feeling any tremors.
- California rattled by 3.6 earthquake - Aug 25, 2011
- Los Angeles Hit By Series Of Earthquakes - Jun 07, 2010
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Temblor shakes Kashmir, Pakistan, Afghanistan; no loss of life (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- 5.6 magnitude quake felt in Kashmir Valley - Jul 19, 2012
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- Strong quake jolts Mexico - Mar 21, 2012
- No casualty as tremors shake north India - Sep 08, 2011
- California Hit By Strong Earthquake - Dec 31, 2009
- 7.3-magnitude earthquake hits Pakistan - Jan 19, 2011
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Earthquake Hits Los Angeles, WWE Smackdown Still On As Planned - Mar 17, 2010
- 5.7 magnitude earthquake in Kashmir - Mar 21, 2011
- 7-magnitude quake rocks Myanmar (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits deep underneath northern Argentina - May 29, 2012
Tags: civic center, conejo ca, earthquake in los angeles, exact location, heidi montag, jonathan knight, km 7, lalate, magnitude ml, malibu ca, metamucil, miles sw, paula abdul, santa monica, scale reading, southland residents, sw 224, tremors, usgs data, westlake village