Drizzle Saturday evening gives Delhi respite (Second lead)June 2nd, 2012 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) After a sizzling, hot day, Delhi experienced some respite Saturday evening as a drizzle brought the temperature down by 2.6 degrees Celsius in the national capital.
According to an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official, the temperature at 8:30 p.m. was recorded at 35.4 degrees. At 5:30 p.m. it was 38 degrees Celsius.
Saturday’s maximum temperature was 44.2 degrees Celsius, four notches above what is average for this time of the season, while the minimum was six notches above average at 33.2 degrees. The humidity levels wavered between a high of 41 and 30 percent.
In several parts of the city, it was a double whammy for the residents who not only weathered high temperatures but also had to grapple with long hours of power outages.
According to a power department official, long power cuts were reported from south and west Delhi.
The Met office has forecast rains Sunday morning.
“The weather will be pleasant and there is a possibility of thundershowers tomorrow (Sunday) morning,” said the IMD official.
“The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to hover around 42 and 32 degrees Celsius,” added the official.
Friday’s maximum temperature settled at 43 degrees Celsius, three notches above the average, while the minimum was 34.3 degrees Celsius, seven notches above the average.
- Hot Saturday in Delhi, rains in store (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Hot day in Delhi, dust storm likely - Jun 02, 2012
- Cloudy Saturday in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Clear morning in Delhi, light rains ahead - Jun 03, 2012
- Hot Tuesday in Delhi, similar weather Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Hot morning in Delhi, rains expected - Jun 01, 2012
- Humid morning in Delhi, showers expected - Jul 29, 2012
- Drizzle in Delhi, fog likely Monday (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Warm day in Delhi, similar weather Thursday (Lead) - Nov 02, 2011
- Thundershowers lash Delhi, more rain predicted (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Hot day in Delhi, mercury to rise Thursday (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Cloudy morning for Delhi, rain likely - Aug 05, 2012
- Hot Wednesday in Delhi, mercury to rise further (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Sweltering day for Delhi - Jun 20, 2012
- Hot Saturday in Delhi, mercury to rise further Sunday (Lead) - May 19, 2012
Tags: double whammy, drizzle, high temperatures, hot day, humidity levels, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, maximum temperature, minimum temperatures, New Delhi, power outages, respite, saturday evening, sunday morning, three notches, time of the season, weather, west delhi