Dinosaur skeleton on saleMarch 8th, 2008 - 10:27 pm ICT by admin
Paris, March 8 (DPA) An authentic dinosaur is on sale in Paris where Christie’s has put a more than 65-million-year-old triceratops skeleton up for auction, reports said Saturday. More than 70 percent of the 7.5-metre-long skeleton is authentic, the auction house says. The missing parts were substituted with resin.
The two-tonne fossil is expected to fetch around 500,000 euros ($770,000) at the auction April 16.
The triceratops specimen originates from North Dakota in the US and is owned privately. Museums and other institutions and individuals have been among the potential buyers enquiring after the skeleton.
The plant-eating triceratops, with its characteristic three horns, is among the best-known dinosaurs. Its head alone weighs 200 kg.
- 103mn-yr-old first horned dino identified in South Korea - Dec 07, 2010
- Newly discovered dino 'may be father of Triceratops' - Feb 01, 2011
- Chinese paleontologists discover large feathered dinosaur - Apr 06, 2012
- Triceratops, Torsaurus same dino at different stages of growth - Jul 15, 2010
- 'Secret location' of dino skeletons found in South Dakota Badlands - Jul 30, 2010
- Experts debate over species of dino fossil - Oct 12, 2010
- New horned dinosaur discovered - May 29, 2010
- New dinosaur species found in China - Aug 29, 2010
- T.rex was 'more hyena than lion' - Feb 23, 2011
- Top ten dinosaur and fossil finds of 2009 - Dec 23, 2009
- Triceratops was a social animal, indicates new evidence - Mar 24, 2009
- Skin bones helped huge dinos survive - Nov 30, 2011
- Jurassic era on sale - Mar 21, 2009
- Scientists discover bizzare horned dinos on 'lost continent' in Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- Dinosaur museum in China sets new world record - Aug 03, 2010