Dense fog engulfs Delhi, affects commutersDecember 30th, 2011 - 11:53 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 30 (IANS) Dense fog descended on the capital Friday morning, hitting visibility levels and making it difficult for commuters to reach their destinations as vehicles were forced to crawl on the roads. Icy winds added to the winter woes.
Visibility was down to 100 metres at 8.30 a.m., the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said. The minimum temperature was recorded a notch below average at 6.6 degrees Celsius.
“The thick fog is likely to clear up as the day progresses. The cold conditions will continue in the coming days. There will be shallow fog in the evening,” an IMD official told IANS.
Delhi’s satellite town Gurgaon was hit hard and some even found it difficult to leave their houses.
“There was dense fog. I could not even leave my home as nothing except for the fog was visible,” said an office goer living in DLF.
The thick fog saw flight disruptions with many passengers stranded at the airport.
The maximum temperature is expected to hover around 23 degrees. Humidity at 8.30 a.m. was 97 percent.
On Thursday, the minimum and maximum temperatures were recorded at 6.8 and 22.3 degrees respectively.
The Met department said the coldest day of the season so far has been Dec 25 when the minimum temperature dropped to 2.9 degrees.
- Dense fog affects road, rail, air traffic (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Thick fog, nippy winds in Delhi - Dec 29, 2011
- Fog envelopes Delhi, cold wave continues - Dec 19, 2011
- North India reels under severe cold, dense fog (Roundup) - Jan 20, 2012
- Trains, flights disrupted as fog blinds Delhi (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Thick fog, chilly winds leave Delhi shivering - Jan 20, 2012
- Fog, icy winds make Delhiites shiver - Jan 17, 2012
- Warmer day for Delhi - Feb 11, 2012
- Delhi shivers with nippy winds, sunny day ahead - Jan 11, 2012
- Thick fog in Delhi disrupts road, train services (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Fog in Delhi hits rail traffic (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Chilly Sunday in Delhi - Jan 22, 2012
- Thick fog envelops chilly Delhi, commuters hit - Jan 18, 2012
- Fog affects 47 trains (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Fog disrupts train services in Delhi (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: 23 degrees, cold conditions, coldest day, commuters, dec 25, dense fog, disruptions, friday morning, gurgaon, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, maximum temperature, maximum temperatures, minimum temperature, New Delhi, notch, satellite town, shallow fog, thick fog, winter woes