Demonstrate leadership to tackle climate change: Ban Ki-MoonDecember 7th, 2011 - 12:21 am ICT by IANS
Durban, Dec 6 (IANS) United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon Tuesday warned that the world doesn’t have time to lose and urged leaders of countries to demonstrate political leadership to tackle climate change.
Speaking at the UN climate change conference in Durban, Ban Ki-moon said: “We have no time to loose and need progress in climate change negotiations.”
He called for a legally binding treaty to bring down emissions irrespective of whether countries are rich or poor and small or big.
“A legally binding agreement may not be possible in Durban but this has to be our priority. All countries should take legally binding agreement whether they are big or small and rich or poor,” he said.
He said despite great economic troubles, ministers should aim to make real progress in Durban.
Ban urged ministers to make progress on implementing the 2010 Cancun Accord, delivering tangible commitments on long- and short-term finance, second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol and towards a new comprehensive treaty.
- At Durban, Kyoto Protocol gets extension - Dec 11, 2011
- Major outcome of Durban climate talks - Dec 11, 2011
- BASIC leaders to meet in Delhi to assess Durban outcome - Feb 13, 2012
- India not ready for a new climate regime - Dec 03, 2011
- UN says Canada's withdrawal from Kyoto Protocol 'regrettable' - Dec 14, 2011
- Differences continue in Durban, China offers conditional deal - Dec 05, 2011
- India to push for Kyoto Protocol's extension - Sep 15, 2011
- Deadlock over Kyoto Protocol's extension persists at Durban - Dec 06, 2011
- Countries struggle to reach deal at Durban (Lead) - Dec 08, 2011
- Climate talks hijacked by US-China differences: EU - Dec 07, 2011
- Invoking Gandhi to make Durban talks deliver - Dec 05, 2011
- US denies blocking climate deal in Durban - Dec 08, 2011
- EU blames India for climate deal delay, minister rebuts - Dec 09, 2011
- Climate conference reaches "compromise" deal to combat global warming - Dec 11, 2010
- No point in Kyoto pact extension without US, says Britain - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,